 Administrative / General / 4124
Re: Posting problem with the web-interface!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 8 Jan 2000 21:18:47 GMT

On Sat, 8 Jan 2000 06:44:55 GMT, mattdm@mattdm.org (Matthew Miller)
wrote:

Matthew Miller <mattdm@mattdm.org> wrote:
Yes. From the GNKSA, above:

Exception: Damaged (truncated) Message-IDs SHOULD NOT be included.
Neither should `bogus' Message-IDs -- IDs that somehow got inserted (by
a misguided user, maybe) but don't belong to the thread.

This is clear at least - Todd, CNews is in violation of this. I think
implementing it could be a good idea, but not high-priority at this
time, as I haven't noticed anything breaking from them.

Note that the GNKSA is here itself quoting another document, the in-progress
update for RFC 1036.

Ah, the infamous Son-of.

The problem there is that Son-of-1036 is not an RFC yet, due to
certain "issues".

Note that the 1000 character limit is more or less grabbed from thin
air in So1036.

There is good evidence that more than one newsreader as well as news
transport (among others, apparently CNews) has a limit at 512.

RFC's 1036, 822, 850, 733 mention none of 511, 512, 998, 1000.

In other words, there are no standards, except de facto ones - and
those seem to be along the 512 line. Early versions of tin (<2.7,
ISTR), IIRC, truncate bluntly at 512.

So Todd.. the ball's in your court. Do you want to be the one with the
broken newsserver, or the one to fix it? ;)

Jasper