 Administrative / General / 4075
    Re: Todd, can we have an Arctic posting group? —Todd Lehman
   (...) And it would automatically go out to all the webpages on the net and fix up the links where people say things like "discuss this on LUGNET" and give a link to the article they posted? And it would automatically go back through all the news (...) (25 years ago, 4-Jan-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

        Re: Todd, can we have an Arctic posting group? —Matthew Miller
   (...) Ah. Always a problem in the shifting sea of the web. Sites rearrange and break links all the time. But in this case, there's something else at work: The problem is that people are linking to the wrong thing. Article numbers are arbitrary and (...) (25 years ago, 4-Jan-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

        Re: Todd, can we have an Arctic posting group? —Todd Lehman
     (...) But in order to link by message ID, you have to either serve the message by url-encoded message ID (because people will always just cut & paste the URL) instead of by group & number, or give people some way to click a "bookmark or link to (...) (25 years ago, 4-Jan-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

        Message-ID lengths (was: Re: Todd, can we have an Arctic posting group?) —Todd Lehman
     (...) Whoops, I forgot to hold off on posting that until my script finished. Those two numbers were just placeholders from memory. OK, the script finished running, and the average Message-ID length is 29.8346 characters, and the smallest of the set (...) (25 years ago, 4-Jan-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

         Re: Message-ID lengths (was: Re: Todd, can we have an Arctic posting group?) —Matthew Miller
     (...) Heh. Ok, so it might be reasonable to have something that does a mapping, for the sake of the poor humans. :) (...) Probably not. Just one that happened to intrigue me. And now, it's All Figured Out in case you want to implement it in the (...) (25 years ago, 4-Jan-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

         Re: Message-ID lengths (was: Re: Todd, can we have an Arctic posting group?) —Todd Lehman
     (...) I'm glad you brought it up, actually, because you pointed out a few things I hadn't considered (such as the fact that splitting a group wouldn't necessarily mean zeroing it out). I racked my brain pretty hard back in May-June last year, (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jan-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

        Re: Todd, can we have an Arctic posting group? —Matthew Miller
   (...) Possibly. But it does introduce other issues, such as the moving-stuff-around one. And I can think of various possible past and future reasons why you might want to do that. But actually, upon further reflection, does this really matter? I (...) (25 years ago, 4-Jan-00, to lugnet.admin.general)