 Administrative / General / 2820
2819  |  2821
Subject:
Kibbles (was: News article snarfing & propagation (was: LEGO Calendar of Events))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 1999 04:08:54 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, lehman@javanet.com (Todd Lehman) writes:
A bit more on article snarfing & propagation...

If anyone happened to catch this article back in May,

   http://www.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=1676

the 3rd sub-item of the 4th main item there (the one which begins "Ability
to snarf...") refers basically to personal weblogs[1] with discussion group
integration -- but taking it one step further where the log entries (or the
"stories") propagate from person to person, from person to group, from
group to person, and from group to group.
[...]
The size of the entire lugnet newssystem is getting to the point where it is
too much information for even the most voracious reader.  That is, while
most people don't even want to read (or even scan) every single article in
every single group, I don't think there's any one person who could suck it
all in even if they tried to.  So having a way to "flag" things -- to stop
the more interesting things as they go whizzing by and attach them to more
permanent topical locations -- will become increasingly useful and important
as the system continues to grow.
[...]
[1] excellent examples of weblogs are www.camworld.com and www.memepool.com.

I made a little weblog as a technology demonstration.  It starts here and
works backwards:

   http://www.lugnet.com/?p=990907

I made a top-level entry page too, but I didn't call it "weblog" because the
general population doesn't know what a "weblog" is yet.  So I called it
"kibbles" (it's the first thing that popped into my head!)...

   http://www.lugnet.com/?p=kibbles

I'm headed to bed now, so the 7 Sep 99 entry won't be updated until
tomorrow.  No guarantees that I'll be able to keep this weblog up-to-date,
but it's actually been pretty easy to create and update.  So if people find
it useful, maybe it'll stick around.  Mostly, it's just a technology
demonstration...yet another use for the editing/embedding system.

--Todd

p.s.  The dates on the pages are GMT!