 Administrative / General / 2804
Re: LEGO Calendar of Events
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 4 Sep 1999 05:56:44 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

Cool idea.

A larger question:

Can LUGNET and the slashdot based thing that just get started coexist?

They can coexist, but I think the question is instead one of redundancy and
efficiency.

Do they fill different niches? Is there some overlap? Are we going to
have to watch both places for newsflashy kinds of things?

What does Brick News provide that is of value?
+ A summary of LEGO(R) related news all in one place
  * Don't have to read through multiple newsgroups and through discussion
messages
+ Moderated news
  * Makes sure your time isn't wasted reading unworthy messages
+ XML RDF headline summaries
  * Can be used with your own web site, news ticker/headline programs, My
Netscape, etc

What are Brick News' drawbacks?
- Not convenient to read for LUGNET users (separate place to go), the NNTP
interface will make this a little better once it is working
- Not convenient to submit stories to (could just be a cross post), the NNTP
interface will make this a little better
- Not convenient to discuss news items (web interface, lose discussion from
LUGNET or rtl), the NNTP interface will make this a little better
- More work to maintain for me
  * Users may be able to self-moderate, no submissions yet so I have to find all
of the news

How could this be provided to users in a more convenient way?  (Todd contributed
to some of the below two items)
#1 LUGNET only
* Have a .news group that people can post news items into
* Have a moderated version of the .news group
* Have a special web front end that renders this group into HTML as more of a
weblog, generate RDF summaries, etc.
#2 LUGNET and Brick News
* Have a .news group that people can post news items into
* The .news group would automatically submit the news item to Brick News
* The moderated version of .news could just be a mirror of Brick News
* The Brick News page could replace the Slash discussion system with a link to
the LUGNET discussion

Of course #1 makes Brick News redundant.  :-(

The other possibility is the collaborative weblog thing Todd has mentioned from
the LUGNET design docs.  This would be very cool, but when would it be active?
Todd, any timeline on this?  I also offered to help develop this as long as the
resulting software was open-sourced, but I'm guessing Todd doesn't want another
cook in the kitchen.