 Administrative / General / 2387
Re: CFD: lugnet.lego.* newsgroup hierarchy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 1999 02:31:11 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote in message <37af3206.2187573@lugnet.com>...

*snip*

I would also think that there should be some way to combine the .basic • and
.freestyle lines.

That's a majordomo can of worms, isn't it!  You may be right, though -- at
least in the modern sense of the Basic product line.  IIRC, Basic is called
Basic in Europe and called Classic in the U.S.  But whereas FreeStyle only
meant one thing, Basic/Classic means *three* things.  :-(

FreeStyle included minifigs and elements from other minifig-scale themes
(for example, 4x4 rounded railings, town windows, wheels, etc.), but so • does
the new Basic/Classic:

*snip

But Basic/Classic also has a range of sets exactly like the old BASIC 3+ • and
BASIC 5+ used to look:

*snip*

Of course Freestyle has the same types of sets also, 4135 for example. Also
it seems like I've seen 3-12 Freestyle polybags.

And some of the new Basic/Classic sets are also just plain rectangular
bricks:

*snip*

BTW, as near as Suzanne and I can tell, Basic/Classic is not part of the
LEGO® SYSTEM™ product programme, but FreeStyle -was- part of LEGO® SYSTEM™.
More confusion!  :-)  I guess the reasoning is that most Basic/Classic sets
are simply BASIC 3+/5+, with only a few of the Basic/Classic sets being
FreeStyle sets (in spirit).

Yea, looks like Basic/Classic is a product program all by itself. Probably
some marketting idea to reduce confusion.

It also seems that many of these would not get much traffic.  For example • I
personally could see .western and .scala sitting with very little • traffic.  I
could be wrong here but it is just my perception.

Well, that's OK, right?  It's better that they exist for the one or two
people who may stop by to use them once every couple of months, than that
they don't exist at all.  And regardless of whether there should be • actually
newsgroups for "obscure" things like LEGO SCALA dolls, there still needs to
be browseable categories for informational resources, etc.

I definitely think that the obscure things do need groups. Particularly as
Lugnet gets more visible, we should start to attract the people who are
really involved in these sets (there must be some, or TLG wouldn't still
make them).

(I don't think Western/Wild West would be very dead at all, BTW...  WW is a
fairly popular product line among RPG gamers.  :-)

I'd certainly love to see more discussion of WW.