 Administrative / General / 13545 (-20)
  Re: Important: Index rebuild under way and some other issues

(...) Mike, you got me here: 8080 is certainly no port I heard of so far (it's a common "high" port for some webservers, but AFAIK only 8000 and 1119 are said to have been used for NNTP client access). Please tell me we have a misunderstanding here (...) (18 years ago, 19-Jun-06, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Important: Index rebuild under way and some other issues

In lugnet.announce, Gereon Stein wrote: [ ... snipped ... ] (...) [ ... snipped ... ] I always used port 8080 but that is not working now. I reset my connection to use port 1119 but it isn't working either. Is anyone else having a problem with port (...) (18 years ago, 19-Jun-06, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: This is it: We're moving!

Chris Magno schrieb: (...) You are right Chris, I left the automated background jobs at the original times, only that the new server is located in Germany and runs on CEST rather than EDT - that's plus 6 hours. We will discuss adjustments after (...) (18 years ago, 19-Jun-06, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Cannot login to lugnet with my mail/news client.

"Geoffrey Hyde" <g.hyde@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message news:J13HMx.Eu@lugnet.com... (...) Okay, it looks as if the problem with getting the news server set in the mail/news client one uses definitely WILl cause problems. If anyone is experiencing (...) (18 years ago, 19-Jun-06, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Cannot login to lugnet with my mail/news client.

I have tried to login for the past 24 hours to the lugnet news server which was news.lugnet.com. However, all I am getting currently is an error when trying to connect to the server. Can one of the Admins of the new server please contact me ASAP and (...) (18 years ago, 19-Jun-06, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: This is it: We're moving!

(...) Actually, on a more serious note. AND this is NOT at all important, it would seem the LUGNET guide updates that used to happen on 12 mid EST, now seem to follow a different clock. just something I noticed. Chris 1. YES, i grok that the severs (...) (18 years ago, 18-Jun-06, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: This is it: We're moving!

(...) Listen, Jerry, this is all well and good, but on the last server, I left a few MILLION Euros, if you happen to find them, just let me know. thanks Chris #91 BTW. GREAT job on the switch over. (18 years ago, 18-Jun-06, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: This is it: We're moving!

(...) The issue seems to be with some of the article indexes. I'm researching this, and while it lasts, I have installed a workaround that should return an acceptable list of results (only a couple of extra "score" displays for articles that fail to (...) (18 years ago, 18-Jun-06, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: This is it: We're moving!

(...) Hi all, thanks to the continued support by the original LUGNET people, we got most things working again, including news authentication and mail2news (without spam, alas ;-) ) Even authentication by mail works again, so if you replied to an (...) (18 years ago, 18-Jun-06, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: This is it: We're moving!

FYI - I think I got post authentication working again. However, it seems that replying to the email it sends you doesn't quite do the trick yet. Using the link it provides (or the multiauth.cgi) does work, so I guess for now we'll have to use those, (...) (18 years ago, 18-Jun-06, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: This is it: We're moving!

(...) FYI, I'm getting some odd results searching in News.... - A lot of searches (searching for 'micro' for example) are returning 1 result followed by the error: An internal server error occurred: Died at /usr/home/lugnet/new...ch/lnna.pm line 51. (...) (18 years ago, 18-Jun-06, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: This is it: We're moving!

(...) I agree! Does anyone else notice a difference in LUGNET load times? "Big Daddy" Nelson (18 years ago, 18-Jun-06, to lugnet.admin.general, FTX)

  Re: This is it: We're moving!

"Gereon Stein" <gereon@zweistein.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:J1161A.B6q@lugnet.com... (...) Thanks for the good work Jerry, now take some sleep (3:00 am here), I'm sure you'll get this fixed tomorrow. Breakfast at 7am, I bring the coffee ;-) To (...) (18 years ago, 18-Jun-06, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: This is it: We're moving!

Thanks for your appreciation, Janey, I am pretty close to sorting this out but will need to check a couple of things first. So sorry folks, this issue may last for the rest of Sunday. I'll post an update once it is fixed. Thanks for all your (...) (18 years ago, 18-Jun-06, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: This is it: We're moving!

(...) Cool Jerry, just pointing it out, since you asked if we noticed anything. Thanks for the all the tech work you are doing. Seemed to go fast from this end, but I imagine tons of work on your end. Cheers, Janey "Red Brick" (18 years ago, 18-Jun-06, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: This is it: We're moving!

Janey, you are right, we do have a small issue here and I am working on resolving this. Apparently it also relates to the spam surge we observed a couple of minutes ago. I am confident that everything will work out soon, and member names should (...) (18 years ago, 18-Jun-06, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: This is it: We're moving!

(...) Okay, apparently (some aussie bird told me) my post wasnt very clear... So I am saying it again, with pictures. Here is what I meant... (and Im sorry its a bmp, did it fast and posted before I checked)... (URL) this "screen shot" you can see (...) (18 years ago, 18-Jun-06, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: This is it: We're moving!

(...) Hmmm, well weirdly enough, (and I am not sure how many other this will effect), but apparently my posting name just changed (from C L Gunning Cook, to Janey Cook) which I believe was the name request I asked for, at least a year if not longer (...) (18 years ago, 17-Jun-06, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: This is it: We're moving!

I need to apologize, we just realized that some of the spammers _do_ use the mail gateway and flooded us. I've locked up the mail2news gateway again and will look for the cause of this. Stay tuned for updates. Thanks, Jerry (18 years ago, 17-Jun-06, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: This is it: We're moving!

(...) Ummm like the spam coming in??? And the double posts for the top ten??? I know, I'm sure it will take a bit of time, but the spam seems pretty fast and furious. Good luck with getting that sorted. Janey "Red Brick" (18 years ago, 17-Jun-06, to lugnet.admin.general)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact