 Administrative / General / 12949
Re: This is ridiculous
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 3 May 2005 19:43:13 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Mike Walsh wrote:

Why have other groups broken away?  Do their forums offer something LUGNET
can't or won't?

For one, it is easier to sign up, read and follow threads.

For old timers, it is also about opening up possibilities.  At CSF and CC, what
was just ".space" can be expanded into Space/General; Moonbase/Events; Space
MOCs; Spacewerks/Inprocess; plus a private forum for moderators, etc to discuss
issues, etc.  You can also change the aesthetics to be typically 'castle' or
'spacey'.  Other sites also serve as a central point for content like building
articles and custom stickers, etc - or for running contests, etc.

I don't think Lugnet needs to be doing all of this, especially since traffic in
castle, space, etc hasn't died at all (well, starwars and bionicle are
practically dead, but space and castle are still alive - .castle is still doing
as much activity as it had before CC was born, at that time .castle was
practically dead, which is why we made CC).

I personally see Lugnet as the crossroads and the grown-up playground.  Phpbb
forums like CC, CSF, FBTB, Eurobricks - tend to attract a younger crowd that
like the simpler, easier navigation.  Lugnet is more adult with its greater
complexity - where you can talk about space AND market.theory at the same time,
or whatever combination of forums.  I like that, which is why I'm still around
Lugnet and doing my part to keep .space from fading completely away.

-Lenny

CC (castle)= www.classic-castle.com
CSF (space)= www.classic-space.com/forum/
FBTB (starwars)= www.fbtb.net