 Administrative / General / 12944
Re: This is ridiculous
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 2 May 2005 01:24:05 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Terry Prosper wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, William R. Ward wrote:

I think it's probably a problem that could be fixed if people would just vote
for posts more often.  If everyone spotlighted everything they thought was cool,
the Top Stories should behave better.

Maybe I'm way off-track here, but the proliferation of theme-oriented community
websites is part of the problem to me.

Actually, I've thought both of these are major contributing factors to LUGNET's
continuing decline as a community hub.

Members don't vote as often as they should partly because some don't use the web
interface and I know of no other way to spotlight an item other than that. In
addition, member benefits aren't terribly enticing these days. That said, I
wouldn't give up my membership since I still enjoy the ease of use of LUGNET
that comes from being a member.

Fans of Bionicle, space, castle, Star Wars, and to a degree train and pirates
have now left LUGNET for more theme-concentrated sites. Nothing LUGNET does can
change this fact, but LUGNET has the opportunity to help combine the resources
of these sites into one cohesive Lego community clearinghouse for information.

To me, separating the community in ghettos is simply not a
good idea.  One could argue that Lugnet has rules that these other websites may
not have, therefore, it's easier and more flexible to establish a sub-community
with an adapted website elsewhere, but it leaves the community divided.  Well,
that's my theory, I have nothing to prove it.

I'm not sure referring to any of the other sites as 'ghettos' is either fair or
accurate. Personally, I take offense to that particular terminology due to the
negative connotation it provides. 'Theme-centric' might be a better way to
describe the sites in question.  The community will divide itself if it feels it
needs to do this. BZPower, Classic Castle, classic-space, fbtb...they all
developed out of a mutual need that wasn't being fulfilled via LUGNET and this
is likely to continue.

But again, with the admin crisis over the last weeks, the way this community is
reacting to what's happening here and at TLG, we see that this community needs
to re-learn how to hold together and be a strong group again.

or not. The community has always had difficulty with cohesiveness. That's the
nature of bringing individuals together for a common purpose - they will always
disagree on what is the correct way to proceed with a given task. It's human
nature to want things to go your way and to be upset when they don't go that
way. The result of this is further problems sprouting up within the community.

Perhaps the community is now so splintered that LUGNET's entire purpose for
being has changed. Perhaps LUGNET's purpose in 2005 and beyond is to provide a
portal to other community-based, theme-based sites while still maintaining the
overall feel of being THE starting point for all members of the community. This
is something that should be examined more closely and with the assistance of the
admins of the 'spinter' sites and with those interested in furthering the cause
of themed sites.

-Dave