 Administrative / General / 11268
Re: "Bumping" Posts (was: Announcing DeepSpace.com)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 04:01:39 GMT

In lugnet.space, Tyler Walles wrote:
I fell really stupid to ask, but what is bumping?

Bumping is replying to a post so that the topic moves back up the list of topics
being discussed. It tends to be more prevalent on discussion group systems that
have relatively few discussion areas and which show topics in the areas in
reverse chrono based on who last replied to them.

It sort of works here (at least in the web interface) since there is a recent
topics list on the right side when viewing a group in certain views.

See, for instance, this guide (to a group where it's apparently encouraged, at
least for one person to bump someone ELSE's post... autobumping isn't mentioned
there but presumably not as highly thought of)

http://www.mommiesplayground.com/portal/forums/moderator.html

I sort of shudder at the very idea of that URL, but hey, that's me.

By the way I found the reference I posted by going to Google and using
"define bumping a post" as my search string. Hope that helps.