 Administrative / General / 11264
Re: "Bumping" Posts (was: Announcing DeepSpace.com)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 00:58:33 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.space, Mark Sandlin wrote:

   I’m not sure why this is so hard to understand. If bumping posts becomes an accepted practice, then everyone who thinks they need more attention is going to do it. Then all of a sudden lugnet.space becomes lugnet.bumpymymoc and the top 20 posts are nothing but people posting “bump”. It’s a signal vs noise issue.

Indeed. On the other hand, the discussion that has ensued as a result of your initial post hasn’t done many favours to the signal to noise ration either. My feeling is that while JHK knew bumping was frowned upon, I didn’t get the impression that he was going to make a habit of it. In this case it might have been wiser to ignore it, or at the very least deal with it in a private email.

This post is a case in point. It was clearly a bump from someone who should know better and it was let slide by the curatorship. Net effect: none. The thread died on it’s own accord, no-one got upset, and no harsh words were spoken.

True, we don’t want to turn into lugnet.bumpymoc as you so wryly put it, but we’re a long way from that yet. If it does become a problem, then surely merely reminding the community of the t.o.s. regarding bumping (I’m assuming there is a clause in the t.o.s.) would be the prudent course, and ruffle far fewer feathers. Far be it from me to tell you how to curate the group, but the tone that this discussion has taken leads me to believe that perhaps there’s a better way to handle these issues.

   Let me reiterate: Don’t bump posts.

Or at least find a less obvious manner in doing it ;) Larry’s suggestion has some merit. Here’s a few practical methods of applying it:
  • If you do get a comment or two, wait a few days before responding. It adds to the discussion, while at the same time reminds us of it or brings it to the attention of those that missed it first time around.

  • If someone offers suggestions for improving it, incorporate them in the model, rephotograph and repost it, preferably in the original thread (this allows us to easily see the evolution of the model.)

  • If you get zero responses, take some more pictures showing construction techniques, especially if there’s something in there that you think is unique or particularly cunning. New techniques are always interesting.
Cheers,

Allister