 Administrative / General / 11257
Re: "Bumping" Posts (was: Announcing DeepSpace.com)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 14 Jan 2004 14:21:31 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.space, Zac Soden wrote:
   Sorry Mark, but I just can’t leave this thread without saying something.

I’m not one to go stirring up potential arguements but I too wondered if anyone had actually noticed the post - the only indication of its function is the hit counters on out site. I feel that JHK has done nothing really wrong and certainly nothing ‘unacceptable’.

I’m not sure why this is so hard to understand. If bumping posts becomes an accepted practice, then everyone who thinks they need more attention is going to do it. Then all of a sudden lugnet.space becomes lugnet.bumpymymoc and the top 20 posts are nothing but people posting “bump”. It’s a signal vs noise issue.

   The post was not an immature “look at me and my 5 second model”. It was our new site announcement with some big MOCs on it and he was craving some feedback on his technique.

The quality of the MOCs and website does not excuse bumping up posts.

   JHK is one of the most mature kids that I’ve worked with on the net, and he’s several years younger than I. Besides, it was a one off thing. And seriously, I don’t feel that some people can really talk about maturity when much of their recent posting contains mindless garbage about 3vil (like that’s any more of a good use of space than a small bump post).

Your attempt to spin the maturity issue against me and insult my own ideas is pretty weak. If you’d care to go back and look, you’ll note that I usually reply to someone’s MOC and make a comment or else have been posting one of my own MOCs. Having fun with other people in the newsgroup is not an activity considered unacceptable. There’s a big difference between the whimsical roleplay that I engage in with others around here and engaging in behavior that has been established by the community as being unacceptable.

In case you hadn’t noticed, many of us in lugnet.space have been enjoying some of the “PCS vs 3vil” storytelling. Are all their posts “mindless garbage” too?

   In short, I found your post a little on the harsh side; you could have said something in a much more easy-going and nicer manner. I hope that you can take that in your stride to grow as a good curator.

People usually complain about harshness when they’re called out about doing something inappropriate. This is not the first time someone has been asked not to bump posts. JHK knew his behavior was inappropriate, as he indicated in his original “bump” post.

Let me reiterate: Don’t bump posts.

Thank you.

-Grand Admiral
.space Curator