 Administrative / Financial / 148
Re: w00t! Fund Drive for LUGNET Servers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.finance
Date:
Wed, 25 Feb 2004 05:47:18 GMT

In lugnet.admin.finance, Scott Arthur wrote:
   I have just added a small amount to your “fund drive”. I was happy to make a donation, but I expect I’d be happier if LUNGET published accounts. That way we could all see what the future holds...

Ya, I think the future holds public disclosure of this sort of thing, especially if we turn LUGNET into a Non-Profit Organization.

   ...Brings me to the next part. We actually want to buy two new servers: one to serve as the production server and the other to serve as a research and development server.

Novice question: could the old box not work as a “research and development server” in the short-term?

In a perfect world, it certainly could, as you say in the short term. The monkey wrench, however, is that we have to keep this current/old box fully active and running and untainted during the server migration process.

The server migration will begin in a few days and will go well into March if not also some of April. Because we are migrating to a new operating system (from FreeBSD to Linux) and to a multiple user account administrative situation, there are a lot of changes to make before we can call it gold.

For example, every file (or, rather, every directory of files) that comprise what LUGNET is has to be examined from an ACL standpoint and possibly moved or modified. This all also has to happen before any new user accounts are created on the system beyond two sysadmin accounts.

In other words, rather than just haphazardly switching overnight, which could have disastrous consequences, we’re going to do the migration gradually. So the current/old server probably won’t go out of commission until sometime in May (well after migration is complete...just to be safe). At that point, and assuming it survives transport from Philadelphia, the current/old box could be decomissioned and resold, or, heck, it could become a backup NNTP server box, or it could become a standalone testbed for an IRC server, etc. Lots of possibilities, none of which are certain yet, but one thing’s for sure: it can’t go away until the migration is 100% complete.

--Todd

p.s. The reason we want two good modern servers in Boston is so that they can be paired over 100Mbit or Gigabit ethernet and can (a) back up each other’s filesystems, (b) provide failover much more simply and quickly in a disaster scenario, (c) both be capable of the same tasks, making development much smoother, and (d) overall system management is easier when the hardware is more closely matched... and this will save Matthew much time.