 Administrative / Database / 516
Re: Unique keys for sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.database
Date:
Tue, 28 Dec 1999 20:24:48 GMT

Todd,

I guess what several of us want is for those keys (regardless of whether
they should be seen by humans or not) to appear in the Pause listings.  Many
(?) of us use the Pause listings to generate tables in our own databases and
then use that for other purposes (budgeting, # of pieces owned, etc.).  What
we'd like is to be able to grab the Pause listings with unique keys and use
it as the "corner stone" table for our own databases.

I know that eventually what we are doing is a goal for LUGNET, but some of
us are re-inventing the wheel periodically (monthly/quarterly/?) in order to
get the updated Pause data inserted into our applications.

Mike

--
Mike Faunce
mike at faunce dot com

"Todd Lehman" <lehman@javanet.com> wrote in message
There's really no good "solution" in which the primary keys involve set
numbers.  Here's where I'm heading, BTW, WRT primary keys for the sets DB:

   http://www.lugnet.com/db/brictionary/?n=39

Of course, those are purely internal unique keys, not intended to be seen
by humans.  The nice thing is, 99% of sets are identifiable by a single
secondary key (the set number), and of the remaining 1%, more than half of
those are identifiable by an additional tertiary key (the year), and the
remainder are (hopefully) identifiable by an additional quaternary key • (the
theme).  So in practice, 99% of the links will still require only a single
set number, although additional parameters could always optionally be • used.

--Todd