 Administrative / Database / 514
Re: Unique keys for sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.database
Date:
Mon, 27 Dec 1999 06:52:50 GMT

A few minutes ago, I posted:

Would it possible and reasonable to add a unique key to the Pause
database setlists?

But... hm. A possible problem with documenting the key is that the
unique key used in the Pause database appears to change over time.

If TLC were to come out with another set numbered 8880, what would
the keys be for the sets?

I'm guessing, based on evidence on the db pages, that the Supercar's
unique key would become 8880-1, while the new set would be assigned
a key of 8880-2.  A change like that might be fine internal to Pause
(I don't know) but would confuse personal databases like mine, and
probably result in misdirected links and associations from other
web sites that had been pointing at 8880, not 8880-1.

One option would be to use the year as part of the key.  I think Kevin
does something like this on Brickshelf, and it's part of what I have
been doing in my spreadsheet.  It doesn't quite solve the problem of
what to do if there are more than one set with the same number in one
year (like set 1974 or 214), but maybe TLC has stopped doing that... :-)

Dang... I didn't plan to ask for something and then disagree with
myself...   I haven't been paying much attention to the online Lego
community until fairly recently, but I would guess that the subject
of unique, unchanging set keys came up ages ago.  Has this problem
already been generally solved?

-r'm