  *563419 (-100)
Re: LEGOdometer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 6 Aug 2008 07:24:27 GMT

I'll see what I can do about modeling it.

It would certainly help my slow mind ;o) Though I think I got it through your
explainations.

And BTW, did you see this:

I had not seen that.  It's ... it's ... it's gorgeous!  I'm stunned.  I've been
staring at it all morning, dissecting it, and ithcing to get home and build a
version.  I think this would work better than my cog-and-pin method, and I'm
dying to try and implement this right away.  I love the aesthetics of its
functioning.
Very elegant and parts savvy, but I am not sure it would provide a design as
compact as yours.

Thanks for the link!  I expected a longer downtime before Rev. 2.0, but I don't
think I can wait.
Sorry to disturb you ;o)

Philo

Re: LEGOdometer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 6 Aug 2008 06:03:18 GMT

In lugnet.announce.moc, Shaun Sullivan wrote:
   As is my tendency, here’s an absurdly long treatise describing the development of a LEGO Train Odometer Car (a.k.a. the “LEGOdometer”).

--snip (as is my own tendency ;) )--

Wow. I imagine if I had a clue how to build technic there’d be a few more wows but you can tattoo me impressed as is.

Tim

Re: LETGUI new version 0.1.0.14
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 6 Aug 2008 05:59:47 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Tore Eriksson wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Michael Heidemann wrote:
The new version of LETGUI (http://letgui.mikeheide.kilu.de) is now available.
Also the updated version of some tools (mentioned here
http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dev/?n=10902) are in the installer. Some improvements
also to LETGUI. Also Edger is now included, some default values for Coverer and
Intersector are changed and the list of tools is now sorted to better find the
required tool.

Have fun!

cu
mikeheide

Looks nifty! Is it possible to set it up towards other than your tools, like LDS
and MFHead?

/Tore

At present all supported tools are hard coded. So I can add also other tools if
needed. The idea of LETGUI was to have a starter for little command line tools
like those from Philo and some others. I never have used LDS but just have had a
look on the webpages (http://home2.swipnet.se/~w-20413/lds/lds.htm) and I think
I will add it with the next release if you want. Do I have your permission to
put also the files in the installer?
For MFHead I can not found any information how to use, so I am unable to put
that into the next release.

cu
mikeheide

Re: LEGOdometer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 5 Aug 2008 18:14:10 GMT

In lugnet.announce.moc, Shaun Sullivan wrote:
   As is my tendency, here’s an absurdly long treatise describing the development of a LEGO Train Odometer Car (a.k.a. the “LEGOdometer”).

Interesting. I thought this might be interesting to use in our displays...until I read that it binds up in reverse. When we lose a car for whatever reason (often some young kid’s hand straying where it ought not to), we usually recouple by running the train in reverse to pick up the stragglers. Perhaps your next iteration could have a slip gear system that disengages in reverse and engages when going forward?

   As Dave Eaton likes to point out, the length of the outside rail on a circular train track will be longer than the length of the inside rail. This same effect holds true with nearly all train layouts that are seen in shows; the length of one of the rails will be longer than the other. So the question becomes – what do we truly want to measure? The distance the train has gone around the outside rail? The distance along the inner rail? Or some distance in between?

I would think it would measure the outer rail at high speeds and the inner rail at slow speeds. The reasoning is that at slow speeds, assuming the motor bogey is pulling rather than pushing, it will pull the train against the inside rail so there will be more friction on that side of the bogeys. At high speeds, however, momentum comes into effect, and if you’ve ever watched a LEGO train moving at significant speed, anything but the most lightweight of cars will heel over a bit when it slams into the curve, so the inner wheels will actually lose contact with the rails for a bit as they lift up, while the outer wheels will be pressed into the rail.

Subject:
Dinner
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 6 Aug 2008 03:25:47 GMT

Dinner, this Friday, August 8th, 7 pm, Swiss Chalet... be there with bells on,
or at least with something on.

Bring cool lego, or not, bring your partner, or not, bring an appetite or not
but for the sake of all things abs, at least bring yourself.

And yeah, I know this isnt my job, but since I'm driving 3 hours to see you
lovely ppl, I thought I would post about it.

Cant wait to see you all, take care,

Cheers,

Janey "Reddish Brickish"

Re: California LEGO Convention?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Wed, 6 Aug 2008 03:18:51 GMT

In lugnet.events, Russell Clark wrote:
Hello all. I have been challenged to organize a LEGO convention in Northern
California. I wanted to send a post to gain some feedback on the idea.

Is it a good one?

Would you attend? Non-Californians?

Any thoughts?

The proposed date is sometime in 2010.

I look forward to hearing your comments.

I'm in.  Call me if you need someone to coordinate castle. :)

--Brendan Mauro (San Francisco)

Re: LEGOdometer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 5 Aug 2008 22:43:47 GMT

A nice explanation and reading. A better MOC.

Also intend to return later and read it more carefully. It is extensive, to get everything at first. ;)

Subject:
Allan hoppers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 5 Aug 2008 22:31:08 GMT

It’s been a while since I’ve posted a new MOC here but it’s never too late to pick up an old habit again. In a Dutch railway magazine I saw an ad for MK Modelbouwstudio’s with a picture of two hoppers. They seemed a nice prototype to do a model of so tried their site for more pictures and found these. From their site I also learned that a Dutch heritage railway has two of them. On their site I found a picture of the prototype.

That was enough to get started. In what for me was a record time of one evening I had a set of two. Quite happy with the result. I might change the odd detail before showing them in public but it won’t be anything dramatic.

These hoppers were built in the late 1940’s by Allan, a Dutch factory of rolling stock and furniture. The company folded in 1959. The hoppers were kept in pairs with fixed couplings and no buffers between them. They were in service for nearly 40 years until they were replaced by these in the mid 1980’s. Four sets are still in use today; two are with heritage railways and two are with Amsterdam public transport for tramway maintenance.

Re: California LEGO Convention?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Tue, 5 Aug 2008 22:23:51 GMT

Right now both venues we like are hotels in Santa Clara and Foster City.

Santa Clara?
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lost_Boys>

Clara / Carla, whatever.  I sir, am in.

Grandpa casually gets a root beer from the refrigerator and remarks, "One thing
about living in Santa Carla I never could stomach... all the damn vampires."

Re: LEGOdometer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 5 Aug 2008 20:06:14 GMT

Shaun,

Impressive work, both in construction and the write up! Welcome back to the fold of trains (at least for a little bit)...did you know that the next National Train show (that ILTCO has been particpating heavily since 2005) will be in Hartford for 2009?

I can’t say enough about your MOC.. in fact, I don’t have time to read (or comprehend it) while at work, so I’ll have to look at it more in detail later. Ever think about doing an article about this for BrickJournal?

Scott Lyttle

Re: LEGOdometer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 5 Aug 2008 19:38:05 GMT

In lugnet.announce.moc, Shaun Sullivan wrote:
   As is my tendency, here’s an absurdly long treatise describing the development of a LEGO Train Odometer Car (a.k.a. the “LEGOdometer”).

Your “LEGOdometer” is amazing! I especially liked hearing about the design process and the fact that the final product is purely mechanical. I’d never be able to design something like this...

-Bryan

Re: LEGOdometer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 5 Aug 2008 15:47:30 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Ronald Vallenduuk wrote:
   In lugnet.announce.moc, Shaun Sullivan wrote:
   As is my tendency, here’s an absurdly long treatise describing the development of a LEGO Train Odometer Car (a.k.a. the “LEGOdometer”).
snip

Great idea! Tempting to build something similar for our next show... The only disappointing part of the story is that it took a number of days of computing power to come up with a solution that doesn’t use computing power ;-)

Tom Atkinson pointed out that same thing ... it’s something that never even struck me while I was working on it. The irony just makes it all the more ridiculous, in a fun way!

Re: LEGOdometer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 5 Aug 2008 15:25:52 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Philippe Hurbain wrote:
Very impressive! I don't know what is the most amazing: the odometer
itself or the extensive write-up ;o)

Thanks!  Both were fun ;)

Would you have more details (MLCad?) of the gearing/ratcheting between dials?

I don't yet, though I can easily do that.  The 4-spoked technic joiners, when
turned, rotate the 16T gear at the opposite end of the dial.  That gear then
connects to two idler gears which drive a 40T gear; that 40T gear then connects
through the framework to the next dial.

The ratchet mechanism is simply a rack gear on a loose technic pin that
interfaces with the 40T gear to ensure that it only rotates in one direction.

I'll see what I can do about modeling it.

And BTW, did you see this:

I had not seen that.  It's ... it's ... it's gorgeous!  I'm stunned.  I've been
staring at it all morning, dissecting it, and ithcing to get home and build a
version.  I think this would work better than my cog-and-pin method, and I'm
dying to try and implement this right away.  I love the aesthetics of its
functioning.

Thanks for the link!  I expected a longer downtime before Rev. 2.0, but I don't
think I can wait.

Re: LEGOdometer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 5 Aug 2008 14:10:21 GMT

In lugnet.announce.moc, Shaun Sullivan wrote:
   As is my tendency, here’s an absurdly long treatise describing the development of a LEGO Train Odometer Car (a.k.a. the “LEGOdometer”).

Insane. Amazing. Shock. Awe. (and Spotlight.)

Re: LEGOdometer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 5 Aug 2008 11:01:42 GMT

In lugnet.announce.moc, Shaun Sullivan wrote:
   As is my tendency, here’s an absurdly long treatise describing the development of a LEGO Train Odometer Car (a.k.a. the “LEGOdometer”).
snip

Great idea! Tempting to build something similar for our next show... The only disappointing part of the story is that it took a number of days of computing power to come up with a solution that doesn’t use computing power ;-)

Re: LEGOdometer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 5 Aug 2008 10:44:40 GMT

In lugnet.announce.moc, Shaun Sullivan wrote:
   As is my tendency, here’s an absurdly long treatise describing the development of a LEGO Train Odometer Car (a.k.a. the “LEGOdometer”).

-- Major Snippage! --

Awesome MOC! It was interesting reading about the process you went through in developing this vehicle. Thank you for sharing this fantastic work with everyone here.

Cheers,
J.P. Manalo

Re: LEGOdometer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 5 Aug 2008 07:59:04 GMT

Very impressive! I don't know what is the most amazing: the odometer itself or
the extensive write-up ;o)

Would you have more details (MLCad?) of the gearing/ratcheting between dials?
And BTW, did you see this:
http://www.lugnet.com/jump.cgi?http://technicbricks.blogspot.com/2008/02/week-techvideo-2008-06-chain-precession.html

Philo

Re: Minifig scale?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build
Date:
Tue, 5 Aug 2008 06:57:33 GMT

In lugnet.build, Timothy Gould wrote:
   Hi all,

Of late I’ve noticed a resurgence in the use of ‘minifig scale’ as a term. Being a mathematically inclined pedant I tend to take issue with this term as minifigs are so deformed it strikes me as impossible to define a single ‘scale’ to them.

As an indirect result of my pedantry I decided to try something out and do a silhouette comparison shot featuring a person (me in fact) standing next to minifigs at differing scales.

--BROKEN LINK--

For further fun I calculated another example: a Toyota Landcruiser. This has a bonnet width of about 2m which translates to (rounding up) 7.2 studs (1:35), 6.3 studs (1:40), 5.7 studs (1:44) or 5.2 studs (1:48).

Anyway, I hope this helps/annoys/amuses/entices/etc. someone else. I got a giggle.

Tim

Apologies for the self-response. I realised my original image was in error (ahhh irony) and changed it on flickr. Unfortunately this means the link is now wrong so I include the correct one below.

Tim

Subject:
NMRA 2008 pictures
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town, lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 5 Aug 2008 05:29:10 GMT

My NMRA 2008 pictures are now public.

Russell Clark
President/Co-Founder, BayLTC/BayLUG
http://www.baylug.org/russellc/
Fire Chief, PCFD
There is a very fine line between
"hobby" and "mental illness".

Re: Newest Buildings
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Mon, 4 Aug 2008 20:47:08 GMT

In lugnet.announce.moc, Russell Clark wrote:
Here is my latest round of buildings. Some of them were built specifically for
the NMRA 2008 show.

7-Eleven (no interior yet)

Nimbus Books

Drew's Boutique

Citrus Packing House

Firehouse 1

Starbucks (no interior yet)

RenFaire Stuff: bread & cheese vendor, turkey legs & ale vendor, first aid
station, statue, and fortune teller & belly dancers

Nice!  I like the 'books' in the window of the bookstore and I also like Drew's.

Sad I missed NMRA.

Jonathan

Re: 3839a resurrected in #7662? Someone please verify?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.parts
Date:
Mon, 4 Aug 2008 17:59:38 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Thomas Garrison wrote:
On Mon, 4 Aug 2008, Kyle Beatty wrote:
How can one tell the difference?

In the Type I version the rods are slightly longer and have a different
position vertically.  I can't remember if they're higher or lower than
Type II.  I thought Clark had an illustrative picture in his BrickShelf
gallery, but I can't find it.

I don't know about the handle length issue, but the Type A plate has handles
that are centered vertically on the plate, and which do not meet flush with the
bottom of the plate.  The Type B plate has handles that are slung lower and
blend into the bottom edge of the plate.  You can see what the underside of the
Type A version looks like in the alternate photo on Peeron, here:

http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/3839a?img=19650

And I agree that it's probably an inventory error, probably of the "eh, looks
like the right part" variety.

Subject:
LEGOdometer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.technic, lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 4 Aug 2008 18:33:27 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

As is my tendency, here’s an absurdly long treatise describing the development of a LEGO Train Odometer Car (a.k.a. the “LEGOdometer”).

A Little Background.

After religiously attending them for several years, I stopped going to LEGO train shows in 2003. At that time I had reviewed my work-life-play balance, and opted to focus my club-related LEGO commitments on the regular NELUG meetings and Brikwars games instead of train shows. While I continued to build train MOCs regularly I let my attendance at these great events lapse.

But when NELUG decided to participate in a small train show a mere 20 miles from my house, I couldn’t resist. So I spent a couple of weeks repairing and refurbishing all of my old trains, and finishing up some new offerings that hadn’t been shown before.

The show itself was fantastic. The setup and teardown was smooth, the layout – though significantly smaller than NELUG’s standard offering – looked great, and all of the people we encountered were extremely pleasant. It was a wonderful reintroduction into Train Shows, and I’m looking forward to reintegrating them into my LEGO life.

While at the show I quickly remembered how much I enjoyed the audience and participant enthusiasm, the gorgeous aesthetic of a full display … and the inspirations that seem to come fast and frequently over the course of a Train Show weekend. At one point during the weekend I asked myself, “Self, how far do you think that train has gone this weekend?” I did some quick calculations and, based on the size of the loop and its approximate speed compared to spectators walking alongside it, came up with a distance of about 16-18 miles over two days. An impressive achievement for a little toy running in circles! Still, I thought, ‘Wouldn’t it be nice to actually have an odometer to measure the distance travelled … ?”

Well, we all know where that leads.

Some Objectives.

I had a couple of objectives in trying to design and build a working odometer:
  1. I wanted to it be compact enough to fit in with most trains. Ideally it would fit in with a 6-wide train.
  2. I wanted to optimize the accuracy so the measured error was as small as possible.
  3. I wanted the readout to be easily and instantly readable by a layperson. That is, I didn’t want to incorporate any conversions or esoteric displays that would require any explanation or extensive interpretation.
  4. I wanted the design to be robust. This train car was to be transported to and from shows, pulled around in a layout for hours on end, picked up and displayed for demonstration purposes, and all without skipping a beat. This meant it shouldn’t be fiddly, either.
  5. In general only standard LEGO components would be used. One notable exception was that I knew from the start I might end up using BBB wheels. Another was that I was willing to make custom labels for the number readouts. Those aside, I intended to use all official parts.
  6. No RCX or NXT! For some reason I get a kick out of solutions that incorporate old-school mechanisms to perform relatively complicated feats – especially if the same task could be achieved relatively easy with a microprocessor. Plus it drives Joe Comeau crazy that I refuse to use the power of computing, and that’s just sheer bonus.

How Should the Data be Displayed?

As I began to attack the problem, I came to the realization that there were two elements that would inform much of the subsequent design: the distance display scheme, and the measuring wheels with their reducing gear train. Of these, the latter turned out to be the greater challenge.

In keeping with the robust design philosophy I quickly settled on using the new technic tread links in the display. Besides linking together strongly, the fact that they could accept technic half pegs ensured that numerical indicators could be attached securely.

I initially envisioned using a simple gear reduction between the various dials; that is, a constant mesh between the tenths and the units, and between the units and the tens, and so on. As long as the gearing ratios were correct, this would work fine. But it’s not how a mechanical car odometer works! The smallest unit on an old fashioned car odometer rotates continuously, but all of the other dials “click” into place, from one digit to the next. This makes it easy to read, in that only the last dial needs to be interpolated between the digits. I decided to try and emulate this functionality. This would entail some sort of periodic engagement to advance the next dial the correct amount – more challenging, but more in line with the design aesthetic I was after. Besides, it was important that a layperson could read the results, and most people would not want to try and interpolate the mileage off a series of 4 or 5 “in-between” readings.

My initial display attempt used the small technic link gears and a belt of 20 links. Every other link had a small brick block attached to it on which a number label could be attached. A technic pin on one link could easily engage with a three-bladed propeller tied to the next dial and turn it 120 degrees with every revolution. Coincidentally, 120 degrees on the small link gears is 2 teeth, which corresponds to two links – perfect! This would advance the next dial exactly one digit for every complete revolution. Unfortunately, this 20-link belt ended up being quite large. When assembled, my train car was much too tall. There was no way it would fit in with a 6-wide train, so it was back to the drawing board.

The large technic link gears, on the other hand, were also appealing in that they had ten teeth – just right for a 10-digit display. Using these, my display assembly could be much smaller. In order to advance the next dial one digit for every full revolution the reduction between dials would have to be 1:10. I opted to use a spoked interface to achieve the periodic dial-advancing engagement; the readily available small spoked pieces I could find were 2-bladed, 3-bladed, and 4-bladed. Of these, the best combination I came up with was the “Technic Pin Joiner Round with Four Bars 1L” (which during the engagement that occurs with every revolution will advance 90 degrees, or 1 blade, for a 1:4 reduction), plus a 16-to-40 tooth gear interface (for an additional 1:2.5 reduction – for a total of 1:10!).

Brickbuilt “panels” were attached to technic chain links wrapped around the 10-tooth link gear. Labels were made using a Casio EZ-Label Printer with 9mm white tape.

Which Drive Wheels Should be Used?

This question plagued me right up to the end of the project. Clearly the wheel needed to be compatible with LEGO track layouts, and it had to accept an axle so it can interface with the rest of the system.

On one hand a larger wheel – like a BBB wheel – provides a larger moment around the central axis when running. This larger moment could help overcome any friction in the gear train and prevent wheel slipping, ensuring a high level of accuracy. On the other hand, it’s not an official LEGO part.

Alternatively, the new LEGO Power Functions drive wheel – with its rubber band for additional friction – was an appealing option. Besides being an official part the rubber band promised a no-slip advantage. Even after I had built the entire design using BBB wheels, I couldn’t help thinking that maybe I should use the Power Functions wheels instead, so I started working on the analysis required to incorporate them. I needed to know the “official” running diameter of the wheel for all subsequent gear train calculations, so I enlisted the assistance that greatest purveyor of LEGO-related trivia, minutiae, and detailed information, Dave Eaton. While he sought out official word, he conducted some bench tests in his own kitchen. During these tests he noted that the rubber bands, while they themselves never slipped against the track, did at times slip against the wheels. That is, the rubber bands could rotate independently of the wheel axle – which is an unacceptable feature when rotational integrity is paramount! Suddenly my choice was much easier – official wheels were off the design board, and the BBB wheel design could stand!

Coincidentally, the larger wheels have another advantage. Because they rotate fewer times per linear distance traversed, the required gear reduction is less. This generally equates to (a) shorter computational times in the optimization program, and (b) fewer gears in the reducing gear train, which is easier to package and introduces less lash into the system.

Calculating the Gear Train.

This was really the meat and potatoes of the exercise. To what level of accuracy could LEGO gears translate a wheel’s rotation into a real-world measure of distance? This calculation starts at the beginning; the drive wheels. Using a pair of calipers I took a series of measurements of the BBB wheel diameters. Not-so-coincidentally, my measurements matched Ben’s cited 30.4mm drive diameter extremely well, so that number was confirmed to my satisfaction.

Based on my initial estimates of how far a train might travel in a show, I knew I wanted the readout to have a display range greater than 10 miles. At the same time I also wanted to ensure that an astute viewer could actually see some change in the odometer as the train travelled. The former requirement argued for pushing the readout into the higher places, while the latter argued for pushing it into the lower places. Between these two competing philosophies I settled on a range of 99.99 miles. That is, the highest dial would display the tens, and the lowest dial would display the hundredths.

The next step was to figure out how many rotations the wheels would make if they were to travel the distance represented by one full revolution of the smallest-place dial. As I had settled upon hundredths as the smallest increment of measurement, a full rotation of that dial represents one-tenth of a mile. Therefore the target gear reduction could be calculated by determining how many times the drive wheel would rotate, n, over the course of one tenth of a linear mile of travel; this then becomes the target gear reduction 1:n.

In order to obsessively optimize the accuracy of the gear reduction, I left nothing to chance. I wrote a Visual Basic program that would semi-brute-force through all of the possible combinations of gear reductions that can be achieved using standard LEGO parts, and continuously retain the combination that produced the smallest error as compared to the target gear reduction. I refer to the method as only “semi-brute-force” in that the program utilized several criteria on the basis of which it would rule out various combinations. For one, the program was limited only to “clean” gear combinations, or ones that would interface smoothly; no 14-tooth bevel gear meshed to a 24-tooth spur gear. For another, the program would skip combinations that were getting progressively worse; if an additional 1:8 reduction overshot the target reduction by more than the current error, the program would automatically skip 1:12, 1:16, 1:20, 1:24, 1:36, and 1:40.

With the BBB wheels and a reasonably small target distance (one-tenth of a mile), the program would run through all of the possible combinations and come up with a solution within about 15 minutes. I also tested the design envelope – using the small BBB wheels and a 1-mile distance increment, the calculation took just over 2 days to cycle through all of the allowed combinations!

At the end of this exercise, a gear train with the greatest possible accuracy was identified. Even so, this was not necessarily the exact one I would incorporate. Because there are often multiple combinations that can produce the same reduction using standard LEGO gearing, I would manipulate the results to maintain the same overall ratio but optimize the actual part selection. For example, I might replace a 12:20 and 20:36 pair of reductions with a single 12:36 or 8:24, or vice versa. Various design considerations informed these substitutions. In general, it was preferable to reduce the number of gears, so as to minimize lash. Similarly, I tried to minimize the number of 8:x gear reductions, as I’ve never been pleased with the amount of lash when using an 8-tooth gear. Furthermore, the 40-tooth gear could only be used sparingly, as it would have to be aligned near the center of the car body in order to keep the overall car size down.

Still, the final results were impressive and pleasing. Given the assumptions that went into the calculations (no slip on the track, all gear lash taken up, and accurate wheel diameter measurements) I was able to achieve an actual gear reduction that had an error of 0.1423% from the target – or better than 8 feet per mile. That is, when the dial on the odometer reads 1 mile, the actual distance gone by the car is 1 mile and 7.5 feet. Not bad! This was accomplished using a gear train consisting of 1x1:24, 3x12:20, 4x16:24, and 1x8:24 reductions.

And that, as they say … was the easy part. Next came packaging.

One of the original goals was to keep the design as compact as possible. I knew this would entail packing the gears in as tightly as possible, and that I would end up going mad if I tried to sort out the optimal design in real brick. I was not limited to studs-up construction, and I was willing to use offsets as small as half-stud and single plates. In fact, I might have even tried to do some fancy SNOTwork to incorporate half-plate offsets if there were a demonstrable advantage, but fortunately it never came to that.

Instead of going mad, I opted for virtual layouts using MLCAD. I can’t recommend this process enough – especially when working with gear trains in 2 or 3 dimensions. It is much easier to move a gear virtually and check alignments that to do it in real life, with all of the axle and technic brick rearranging that entails. Still, my computer shows 39 separate and unique variations on the gear layout design as I went through the process – and even most of those represent some evolution as I worked on them.

As much as possible, the large gear reduction pairs were frontloaded toward the beginning of the entire geartrain. This was an intentional design choice, as I wanted to make sure that the system developed as much torque as possible as quickly as possible. This would then allow the friction from the relatively smooth rolling contact between the BBB wheels and the rails to overcome all of the gear friction in the train, plus the significant force needed to rotate one or more of the higher-denomination display wheels.

For the few designs that I did build, the actual construction was straightforward. Using an MLCAD layout as a schematic, I could assemble the framework and build the entire assembly from scratch within an hour or so. To summarize the geartrain design process:
  1. Determine the contact diameter of the measuring wheels
  2. Specify the smallest increment size to be displayed
  3. Run the VB gearing optimization program to determine the best gear reduction
  4. Manually evaluate and substitute equivalent gear combinations, while retaining the same overall gear reduction
  5. Use MLCAD to virtually arrange gears into a compact and robust package
  6. Build real-life gear train according to MLCAD design
This process was repeated many times before the final arrangement was determined.

Clearly this design uses a large number of gears meshed in series. In order to reduce the effect of lash in the gearing, all of the dials have a progressing ratcheting gear; they “click” into place as they advance, and cannot swing back with vibration or motion. The only exception is the smallest-denomination dial, which is geared directly to the wheels.

As a direct result of this ratcheting feature, the train is unidirectional; it will bind up if run backwards. There are a number of arrows on the car to indicate the proper direction of motion. One benefit of this unidirectional design is that the slack in the gears should never be a problem. Once the system has taken up all of its gear lash in the forward direction there is never any more slack.

What’s Not Ideal?

As Dave Eaton likes to point out, the length of the outside rail on a circular train track will be longer than the length of the inside rail. This same effect holds true with nearly all train layouts that are seen in shows; the length of one of the rails will be longer than the other. So the question becomes – what do we truly want to measure? The distance the train has gone around the outside rail? The distance along the inner rail? Or some distance in between?

As implemented right now, the LEGOdometer will measure some distance that lies between the outer and inner rails, but exactly where in that range cannot easily be determined. The current design has two outer wheels linked by solid axles to the two inner wheels; these two axles are then geared together so that their rotations are tied together. Because the outer rail is longer, some of the wheels will have to slip when the car goes around a curve. In one extreme case, it would be the inner wheels that always slipped; in that case, the outer wheels would remain in perfect contact with the outer rail, and the measured distance would be that of the outer rail. Conversely, if the outer wheels always slipped to accommodate the different lengths of the two rails, the measured distance would correspond to the length of the inner rail. In actuality it is likely a blend of both inner and outer wheels slipping at different times, creating a quasi-averaged value that lies somewhere between the two.

A secondary effect to this actually occurs just as the truck enters or exits a curve. Because both wheel axles are geared together, the leading wheel pair is forced to rotate at the same speed as the trailing wheel pair. But when the leading pair has entered the curve while the trailing pair has not, one of the two pairs (or a combination of both pairs) is slipping. Conversely, the same thing will happen when the car exits a curve. In theory these effects would cancel each other out, but if they don’t they could introduce some error to the measurement.

Ideally, I like the idea of implementing a differential between inner and outer axles. This would average the length of the two rails, giving a “centerline” distance traveled. I have assembled a couple versions of a differential wheelset, but have opted against using it so far since the trucks that house them are significantly wider.

So How Well Does It Meet the Objectives?

On this score I am pleased! To address each of the objectives in turn:
  1. Size: having this as a consistent design goal produced great results. The overall dimensions of the “final” design are 10-3/8 L x 2-3/16 W x 4-7/8 inches H (~33 studs L x 8 studs W x 1 5 studs H). Although the car is about 8 studs wide at its widest, much of the body is actually between 6 and 7 studs wide. All told it is small enough to fit in with many 6-wide trains. It is, however, relatively heavy! Even after swapping out all of the regular bricks for lighter technic bricks, it weighs in at 1.47 lbs! This could be an issue if it were part of a long train, but on a moderate length train the motors should have no problem. On the other hand that mass ensures good contact between the wheels and the rails, such that the gear resistance does not induce any unwanted slip in the system.
  2. Measurement Accuracy: Accurate to within 7.5 feet per mile while measuring a distance that lies somewhere between the inner and outer rails! With an option to swap out the truck for a differential version that specifically measures the mid-rail distance!
  3. Readability: I’m mostly pleased with this. It’s not quite as intuitive as I’d like, but once someone is told where to look (“read the numbers along the orange markers”) the digits are legible and clear, easy to pick out. The decimal point isn’t quite ideal – in fact, as I’m typing this I’m realizing that it would probably be better to make the decimal dials in a different color for clarity. Still, with about 10 seconds of instruction anyone would be able to make out the reading, even as it goes by as part of a moving train.
  4. Durability: Success! I’ve moved this car around all over the place, taken it to show people, brought it into work on multiple occasions, and never had a single piece fall off. It requires one calibration during construction to ensure that all of the gears between the dials are aligned correctly, but from then on it’s simple to reset. I really like that the design is not at all fiddly!
  5. Standard LEGO only: The exceptions that I’ve made here – BBB wheels, and Tape Labels – were ones I anticipated going into the project. I sleep okay at night with the choices I made.
  6. No RCX or NXT: Ha! Mindstorms is for cheaters ;)

The total build time was about 2 months, 6 days a week, about an hour a day. So that comes out to … about 50 hours of actual build time? On top of that, there were about 10 hours of VB programming, and probably close to 20 hours of MLCAD geartrain layout work (39 iterations!). Add to that a couple hours of Bricklink order compilation, various technical investigations, photography and a 3700-word write-up, and the whole effort tallies up to about 100 hours. Roughly.

Other images are available here.

So Let’s See it Work!

Done! For the purposes of demonstration I threw together a simple drive stand that will set the wheels spinning. Here are two short videos: the first shows the straightforward rotation of the hundredths dial. The second shows the engagement of all four dials flipping over when the LEGOdometer passes any value of the form X9.99.

Video 1

Video 2

x-posted to .trains, .technic, www.trains-n-town.com, and www.nelug.org

Re: B-Wing "Viper" Instructions and an Ode to Contemporary LDraw Tools
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Mon, 4 Aug 2008 14:54:24 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, Joseph Gonzalez wrote:
   In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, Jim DeVona wrote:
   Hi folks. Here is a little model loosely inspired by the Vipers of Battlestar Galactica. As with some of my other models, it is built with a single copy of the B-Wing Fighter (set 6208).

terrific model, jim.

the benefits of such a posting are compounded by not only posting the (very professional-looking) instructions but by the fact that it’s an alternate model. a fan can buy the one set and have all the parts for the model right at hand (no scrounging through a huge pile of parts or having to order individual pieces to make the model).

keep up the great work!!

..joseph g

Thanks for the compliments.

I agree with your point about the appeal of alternate models. In fact, you’ve nearly uncovered my master plan:
  1. Build alternate models
  2. Make instructions
  3. ?
  4. Profit!
Here’s a bonus:

Jim

Re: B-Wing "Viper" Instructions and an Ode to Contemporary LDraw Tools
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Mon, 4 Aug 2008 14:19:49 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, Jim DeVona wrote:
   Hi folks. Here is a little model loosely inspired by the Vipers of Battlestar Galactica. As with some of my other models, it is built with a single copy of the B-Wing Fighter (set 6208).

terrific model, jim.

the benefits of such a posting are compounded by not only posting the (very professional-looking) instructions but by the fact that it’s an alternate model. a fan can buy the one set and have all the parts for the model right at hand (no scrounging through a huge pile of parts or having to order individual pieces to make the model).

keep up the great work!!

..joseph g

Re: What ever happened to polybags?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 4 Aug 2008 13:07:34 GMT

In lugnet.general, Brian Kendig wrote:
I remember when Lego polybags were everywhere - you know, the little crinkly
plastic bags that hung on racks on endcaps in Target and Walmart and even
grocery stores, that contained a twenty- or thirty-piece set, usually with one
minifig, for three or four dollars?

I realized it's been years since I've seen a polybag set anywhere! I was looking
for Indiana Jones sets and decrying that the cheapest set is $10 and the prices
ramp up sharply from there - if anything was the perfect opportunity for a
little polybag set, it's Indiana Jones.

What ever happened to polybags? What was the last polybag set released?

If you count the sets included with a Brickmaster subscription, then polybags
are still around, though those sets are a little larger, perhaps 60-100
elements.  And you can still find some of the Creator polybag sets at LEGO Brand
Retail stores.

The Indiana Jones Jungle Cruiser set (a jeep) was included with Brickmaster
around the May issue.

-Jordan Schwarz

Subject:
What ever happened to polybags?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 4 Aug 2008 12:56:37 GMT

I remember when Lego polybags were everywhere - you know, the little crinkly
plastic bags that hung on racks on endcaps in Target and Walmart and even
grocery stores, that contained a twenty- or thirty-piece set, usually with one
minifig, for three or four dollars?

I realized it's been years since I've seen a polybag set anywhere! I was looking
for Indiana Jones sets and decrying that the cheapest set is $10 and the prices
ramp up sharply from there - if anything was the perfect opportunity for a
little polybag set, it's Indiana Jones.

What ever happened to polybags? What was the last polybag set released?

Subject:
Ride-share to BrickFair
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Mon, 4 Aug 2008 09:13:55 GMT

Ride-Share / Room-share Looking to share a ride to BrickFair? Or to share a room at BrickFair? Check out the message board: http://www.BrickFair.com/travel/RideShare.asp

Watching Your MOC New to the LEGO fan festival experience? Worried about your MOC? There’s little need to “guard” your MOC. AFOLs are a largely friendly community. Public hours may be a small concern, but stanchion chains discourage visitors from touching.

Program Guide The print-date for our program guide (hopefully with your name in it) has been backed up to August 11th. Register and pay by August 10th to be included in the program guide! We want your name in there for posterity!

See you at BrickFair this Labor Day!
Todd

Re: 3839a resurrected in #7662? Someone please verify?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.parts
Date:
Mon, 4 Aug 2008 06:21:52 GMT

On Mon, 4 Aug 2008, Kyle Beatty wrote:

In lugnet.starwars, David Simmons wrote:

While composing some HTML related to the variations of part #3839a, Plate 1 x
2 with Handles Type 1 (a Classic Space part), I was shocked to discover on
Peeron that this part was {apparently} made in dark bley in this set!

This seems to me to be an error of some kind, as #3839b, Plate 1 x 2 with
Handles Type 2, has been the replacement for years.

Can anyone who has purchased this set set the record straight?

--
TWS Garrison
http://www.morfydd.net/twsg/

Re: 3839a resurrected in #7662? Someone please verify?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Mon, 4 Aug 2008 05:52:16 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, David Simmons wrote:
   Hey all,

While composing some HTML related to the variations of part #3839a, Plate 1 x 2 with Handles Type 1 (a Classic Space part), I was shocked to discover on Peeron that this part was apparently made in dark bley in this set!

This seems to me to be an error of some kind, as #3839b, Plate 1 x 2 with Handles Type 2, has been the replacement for years.

Can anyone who has purchased this set set the record straight?

Just curious!

Dave S.

How can one tell the difference? In any case, here is what is in my Trade Federation MTT™

Subject:
3839a resurrected in #7662? Someone please verify?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Mon, 4 Aug 2008 05:11:13 GMT

Hey all,

While composing some HTML related to the variations of part #3839a, Plate 1 x 2 with Handles Type 1 (a Classic Space part), I was shocked to discover on Peeron that this part was apparently made in dark bley in this set!

This seems to me to be an error of some kind, as #3839b, Plate 1 x 2 with Handles Type 2, has been the replacement for years.

Can anyone who has purchased this set set the record straight?

Just curious!

Dave S.

Subject:
AT-ST Alternate Micro Models: Three Well-Known Starships
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.cad, lugnet.space, lugnet.starwars
Date:
Mon, 4 Aug 2008 03:55:17 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Here are instructions for a trio of popular starships you can build with pieces from the 7657 AT-ST set: the Battlestar Galactica, the USS Enterprise from Star Trek, and the Millennium Falcon from Star Wars. You can build all three at once.

The models aren’t terribly accurate, but given the constraints I think they’re recognizable.

If anyone actually builds these, I’d love to see pictures of the results! Let me know how the instructions could be improved, too.

Jim

Re: Military MOCs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build.military
Date:
Mon, 4 Aug 2008 03:50:20 GMT

Thanks for sharing.  Great MOCs.

Re: Military MOCs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build.military
Date:
Mon, 4 Aug 2008 03:33:04 GMT

In lugnet.build.military, Magnus Lauglo wrote:

A while ago, I also built the Shark stealth attack boat:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/78224984@N00/sets/72157605504828674/

The Shark is built on the police boat hull, and has various hidden weapons that
pop out to deal with various threats. It has a crew of five and can carry
different weapons systems, depending on the mission.

I really like that boat. The pop-out weapon systems are impressive and look like
a lot of fun, too.

Jim

Subject:
Military MOCs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build.military, lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Mon, 4 Aug 2008 02:54:58 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Hi all,

I haven't posted my MOCs to Lugnet in a while.

My newest military vehicle is the Griffin heavy lift helicopter:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/78224984@N00/sets/72157606526384720/

It has motorized rotors and interior lights, retracting landing gear, a side
door, a rear ramp, and side guns for defense. It can carry a wide range of
paylods such as 18 fully equipped soldiers, or two light armored vehicles.

A while ago, I also built the Shark stealth attack boat:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/78224984@N00/sets/72157605504828674/

The Shark is built on the police boat hull, and has various hidden weapons that
pop out to deal with various threats. It has a crew of five and can carry
different weapons systems, depending on the mission.

I've also recently taken pix of my Skylifter tilt rotor that I built last year.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/78224984@N00/sets/72157605504623086/

The Skylifter was obviously inspired by the V-22 Osprey. It can carry twelve
soldiers in the cabin, or alternatively jettison its cabin completely in order
to pick up a light armored vehicle.

Thanks for checking them out!

Magnus

Re: Clone Wars V-19 and Gunship are spiffy!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Sun, 3 Aug 2008 22:39:05 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Kyle Beatty wrote: ...

   The alternative nose art is a hoot.

[FreeLUG : French Enthusiast LEGO(c) User Group] Les nouveautés samedi 2 août 2008
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.fr.freelug
Date:
Sun, 3 Aug 2008 19:14:27 GMT

Bonjour

Voici la lettre d'information du site "FreeLUG : French Enthusiast LEGO(c)
User Group" (http://www.freelug.org).
Cette lettre recense les articles et les brèves publiés depuis 1 jour.

          Nouveaux articles
          --------------------------

** La construction de structures **
par Eric "f1tvf" Létang le 2 août 2008

La construction de structures est souvent nécessaire pour la réalisation
de grands et gros modèles comme des immeubles, montagnes, personnages à
l'échelle 1 et bien plus encore !

-> http://www.freelug.org/article.php3?id_article=773

--
Erik Amzallag
FreeLUG - French Enthusiast LEGO User Group

Re: B-Wing "Viper" Instructions and an Ode to Contemporary LDraw Tools
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Sun, 3 Aug 2008 17:05:21 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, Jim DeVona wrote:
   Hi folks. Here is a little model loosely inspired by the Vipers of Battlestar Galactica. As with some of my other models, it is built with a single copy of the B-Wing Fighter (set 6208).

What I’d really like to share, however, is my appreciation for the great LDraw tools we have today. In particular, I think the quality of the building instructions we can create is just phenomenal. I used Bricksmith 2, LDView, and LPub 4 to digitize the model and create these instructions. Some steps could certainly be organized better (and I welcome your suggestions), but the truth is I’m quite proud of how sharp these instructions look:

snip

It wouldn’t be possible without the hard work Allen, Travis, and Kevin have put into the continued improvement of their wonderful programs. Thanks, too, to the part authors and everyone else who has contributed to the LDraw system.

One reason I am enthusiastic about this is that I see quality instructions as a link between the LDraw community and other LEGO fans. Instructions make LDraw models accessible to people who are not LDraw users - and the prospect of documenting MOCs with nice instructions could certainly interest more builders in LDraw.

Thoughts and comments?

Jim

A really good-looking model. I second your thoughts about the value of nice instructions to go with MOCs. I appreciate your expression of generosity by doing all that work. You play well!

Subject:
Interview/Article on Lego's 50th Anniversary in Hartford Magazine
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Sun, 3 Aug 2008 16:26:05 GMT

I uploaded scans of a brief interview with Michael McNally (Lego Brand Relations
Director) in this month's issue of Hartford magazine. (Hartford, CT)

Folder

Page 1 direct link:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/wsmiddel/MediaWatch2/hm50y.jpg

Page 2 direct link:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/wsmiddel/MediaWatch2/hm50y2.jpg

Re: California LEGO Convention?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Sun, 3 Aug 2008 01:22:36 GMT

In lugnet.events, Scott Lyttle wrote:
Russell, This non-Californian would definitely be open to it, depending on
dates.  (So far, I figure you can knock July 10-18th out, as that's NMRA
national in Milwaukee).

I would figure locating a convention somewhat near a LEGO store is also useful,
as you may be able to work with a store manager for potential "convention
discounts".

I already have the support of one Northern California LEGO store manager, as
well as support from a few other notable people.

Russell

Re: California LEGO Convention?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Sat, 2 Aug 2008 22:57:45 GMT

In lugnet.events, Tommy Armstrong wrote:
Of course I could research all this on my own, but if I was flying from North
Carolna to Northern California, I would definitely like to at least have a brief
visit to San Francisco. Is it relatively easy to get there--is the BART going to
where you are planning on having it. Just curious and of course not a deal
breaker, but there might be a few of us souls who have never seen SF and would
want to tag a little sidetrip to it. Kind of spread the airfare out over LEGO
and sightseeing. As I said, the last time I was there the BART was in its first
or second year--I think.

Not necessarily BART, but CalTrain is relatively close to both sites.

Of course a tour of Google and Apple would be interesting also.

That is something I can look into, but I doubt it would be fruitful.

I really do not think a LEGO store should be an overiding requirement. But maybe
by that time there would be some mechanism for LEGO, if it wanted to, to
discount heavily some special Shop at Home items only for the registrants.

There are two LEGO stores in Northern California, one in Santa Clara and one in
San Mateo. Both cities are being checked for venues.

The weather there in the winter is nice--so that is the time to have it. A
relief from the cold for a great number of people.

We are looking at mid-Spring 2010.

Russell

Subject:
LEGOLAND Discovery Center at Schaumburg's is open
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.legoland
Date:
Sat, 2 Aug 2008 22:39:11 GMT

Indulge your LEGO fantasies at Schaumburg’s Discovery Center

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=224256

Once you pull into the Streets of Woodfield, it’s nearly impossible to miss the new LEGOLAND Discovery Center.

The first Discovery Center to open outside Germany, the Schaumburg site is marked by an enormous giraffe made entirely of LEGO. And the feats of building with the blocks only get more impressive when you head inside.

Lots of the features in LEGOLAND were imported directly from Europe, but the first attraction is pure Chicago. The center features a scale model of the city’s skyline and most famous landmarks, including Buckingham Fountain and Navy Pier complete with a spinning Ferris wheel. The display rotates from day to night about every three minutes with the room darkening and illuminated only by miniature lights on the building.

Along with the automated changes, the skyline also has some interactive features. A touch of a button will push a fire engine out of a building with lights and sirens blaring while another button triggers perhaps the most signature image of Chicago, vehicles moving around a construction site.

Visitors then pass into a LEGO safari. The jungle room features block tigers and lizards, moving monkeys and a fountain pool where hippos and ‘gators lurk among LEGO lily-pads. Walls are lined with questions for kids to answer on quiz cards, which they receive at the beginning of the expedition.

A full-sized LEGO statue of Indiana Jones marks the transition from jungle to the LEGO Hall of Fame. You can pose next to Darth Vader, R2-D2, Harry Potter, Hagrid or Batman. It’s a major photo opportunity.

After getting your fill of pictures, head onto the Dragon Ride. The slow tour through a medieval castle might be creepy for little kids, with LEGO skeletons hanging from walls and a giant steam-breathing dragon resting on a horde of treasure at the end.

Some designer apparently had a serious thing for LEGO rats, which infest the ride and also have a home on the shelves of the cafe. The cafe itself is a little like a primary-colored Starbucks, with lots of comfortable chairs and couches along with larger tables for groups. It provides a spot to rest your feet a little, while snacking on a salad and Vitamin Water or a hot dog and cookie depending on your tastes.

The Starbucks comparison stops at the noise level. The open area also houses the most interactive parts of LEGOLAND, where you can actually play with the blocks. You can build a LEGO car and race it down the speed ramp, where a clock will say how long the trip took, or construct a tower and put it on an earthquake table to see how much shaking your creation withstands. The same open area also features a climbing play set and a pit full of DUPLOs for younger kids.

LEGOLAND’s second floor hosts its two timed attractions. The “4D” movie was directly imported from Germany, which works out fine because there’s no dialogue. That doesn’t keep the 3D film from being both adorable and funny, with one of the more clever parts involving a man tending to a horse discarding several normal looking shoes before finding a square one to actually fit the LEGO animal’s foot. The fourth dimension - spoiler alert! - comes from water, air and even snow sprayed out at the audience as the movie follows an adventure to save a kingdom from a wizard and his skeletal army.

The other big attraction is the LEGO Factory, where enthusiastic employees in white lab coats show how the signature bricks are made, with bright colored granules heated up into a liquid and then shaped into blocks that move along a conveyor belt. At the end of the fun there is, of course, a large LEGO store. The one part open without admission, the store lets you indulge any newly rekindled LEGO mania by browsing play sets and even individual pieces in a variety of shapes and colors before heading back out to the rounder world.

LEGOLAND Discovery Center 601 N. Martingale Road, Schaumburg, (847) 466-1312;

Hours: 10 a.m.-7 p.m. daily

Admission: $19, $15 for kids, $17 for seniors. Annual passes available.

http://www.legolanddiscoverycenter.com

Subject:
LEGOLAND Discovery Center at Schaumburg's is open
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.legoland
Date:
Sat, 2 Aug 2008 22:37:51 GMT

[...]

Subject:
A Unlicensed LEGO Lamp is blocky and bright
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 2 Aug 2008 22:20:39 GMT

A Unlicensed Lamp that looks like a LEGO brick.

http://technabob.com/blog/2008/07/31/lego-lamp-is-blocky-and-bright/

These clever desk lamps get their inspiration from classic LEGO building blocks. Designed by Japan’s 25togo, these LED illuminated acrylic block lamps look just like a giant-size version of the popular plastic playthings.

The blocks have a snap-off top layer that’s designed to hold pens, pencils and other office items. Each brick measures in at appx. 6”x 4” x 2.4”, making them about 100 times larger than a 2x3 peg standard LEGO.

While they don’t actually show multiple lamps interlocked, I don’t see any reason why you couldn’t stack a bunch of these lamps to create large, illuminated sculptures.

At this point, the lamps are available only through 25togo’s online shop, and sell for just Yen 1600 (appx. $15 USD) each.

25togo Design Store (Japanese store link) http://www.25togo.com/store/Product.aspx?pc_id=00001&prod_id=0000019

Re: California LEGO Convention?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Sat, 2 Aug 2008 21:49:43 GMT

In lugnet.events, Russell Clark wrote:
In lugnet.events, Adrian Egli wrote:
My question right now is where would you hold this?  Convention center?  Hotel
w/ convention facilities?

Right now both venues we like are hotels in Santa Clara and Foster City.

Last thought- Think Google could sponsor this???

I know they like LEGO...

Russell
[...]

Tommy Armstrong
The BrickEngraver

Subject:
B-Wing "Viper" Instructions and an Ode to Contemporary LDraw Tools
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac, lugnet.cad, lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Sat, 2 Aug 2008 20:52:51 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

[...]

Subject:
LD4DStudio 1.0 Release
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sat, 2 Aug 2008 18:34:36 GMT

Hello All,

I've put the definitive 1.0 version online.

Bug fixes, some minor new features and a new sample called "escape". I
am quite proud on this new 'action movie' so I hope you like it.

You'll find the release here:

http://www.ld4dstudio.nl/downloads

It's release notes are here:

http://www.ld4dstudio.nl/downloads/releaseNotes

You can install this one over any old one, an uninstall is unnecessary.

I'm also working on the 1.1 version with Povray export support and many
more new features. I'm not sure when it will be done, it will be several
months at least. In meanwhile no more 1.0 versions will be released
unless  there is a major bug found.

Greetings,

Roland

Re: NMRA 2008 report
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 31 Jul 2008 16:16:54 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Robert Gurskey wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Scott Lyttle wrote:

   NMRA 2010: Milwaukee WA July 10-18 (NMRA 75th Anniversary)

Scott, I assume you mean Milwaukee WI. I hate to think that people might be going to the wrong state.

Whoops, yeah.. MI... and that date posting did not post the way I wanted it to...

scott

Re: California LEGO Convention?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Thu, 31 Jul 2008 16:15:45 GMT

In lugnet.events, Russell Clark wrote:
Hello all. I have been challenged to organize a LEGO convention in Northern
California. I wanted to send a post to gain some feedback on the idea.

Is it a good one?

Would you attend? Non-Californians?

Any thoughts?

The proposed date is sometime in 2010.

I look forward to hearing your comments.

--
Russell Clark
President/Co-Founder, BayLUG/BayLTC
http://www.baylug.org/russellc/
Fire Chief, PCFD
There is a very fine line between
"hobby" and "mental illness".

Russell, This non-Californian would definitely be open to it, depending on
dates.  (So far, I figure you can knock July 10-18th out, as that's NMRA
national in Milwaukee).

I would figure locating a convention somewhat near a LEGO store is also useful,
as you may be able to work with a store manager for potential "convention
discounts".

Scott

Subject:
Article on LEGOLAND Discovery Center in Chicago area
Newsgroups:
lugnet.legoland.california, lugnet.loc.us.il
Date:
Thu, 31 Jul 2008 16:08:50 GMT

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/couriernews/lifestyles/1081876,3_5_EL31_LEGOS_S1.article

Block party
Legoland Discovery Center in Schaumburg is first in the US

July 31, 2008

By MIKE DANAHEY Staff Writer
Had Led Zeppelin recorded a song called Whole Lotta Legos instead of Whole Lotta
Love, it would be on Dan Morey's iPod.

Morey, a carpenter by trade and graduate of Nequa Valley High School in
Naperville, is a master builder at the new LEGOLAND Discovery Centre on the
Streets of Woodfield in Schaumburg. He will be busy showing children what they
can create with the plastic blocks.

Morey also will build his own objects of art.

"With it (almost) being football season, I'd like to make a model of Soldier
Field," he said. "I figure it would take about three to four months working by
myself."

The Soldier Field replica would fit nicely in the "Miniland" cityscape of
Chicago, an impressive display of downtown architecture.

Morey's first creation -- a jumbo Chicago-style hot dog (mustard, no ketchup)
made from more than 700 LEGO pieces -- greets guests entering the
30,000-square-foot fun town. To get to the hot dog, guests must pass through a
giant Lego giraffe standing over the doorway of the first indoor amusement park
of its kind in the United States.

It's a LEGO lovers dream.

There is a Hall of Fame with LEGO models of Batman, Darth Vader and characters
from the Harry Potter saga; the Dragon Ride through a castle replete with LEGO
bats, knights, damsels, a chef in shackles and a fire-breathing dragon; a Jungle
Expedition of LEGO animals; and a faux factory where guests learn how LEGOs are
made.

There even is an old man made of LEGOs sleeping on a park bench, a Lego bust of
Albert Einstein and a store selling LEGOs to take home.

The center will change exhibits every three to four months, said attraction
manager Mike Pastor of Joliet, who also said there will be special events for
certain holidays.

Pastor said LEGOLAND also is working to partner with another attraction, the
joust-and-dine Medieval Times, and will offer educational outings for schools.

LEGOLAND has a movie room, too, currently showing Spellbreaker, a 4-D flick
about a medieval blacksmith who, with the aid of his lady, a jester and a
friendly young dragon, saves his land from a band of marshmallow-headed ghost
skeletons. The fourth dimension includes simulated wind, rain, snow and more.

On the center's second floor is the Build and Test area, where children can play
with LEGOs on a speed ramp, on an earthquake table or wherever their
imaginations take them.

It all went over well with Schaumburg's Campanelli YMCA campers, who visited
Friday in advance of today's grand opening.

"I liked the race cars and Batman," said Logan Caro, 6, of Hoffman Estates.

The race cars, Batman and the LEGO version of Chicago topped the list of fellow
campers Rohan Pathak, 9, of Schaumburg, Ajai Rajeev, 9, of Streamwood, Nikolas
Pohlschmidt, 8, of Hoffman Estates, Harshita Kumbham, 8, of Schaumburg, and
Julie Pallas, 8, of Elk Grove Village.

The two "Golden Brick" winners who received a free tour were Claire Strother, 8,
and Garrett Strother, 10, who both enjoyed the jungle area.

"I liked the Indiana Jones," said Garrett.

"And I liked all the animals," said Claire.

Taking it all in, wearing a big smile and a bright red golf shirt, was Joseph
Tiesch of Frankfort, who works at the center as an entertainer.

"I've always been a big LEGO fan," said Tiesch, who studied broadcasting in
college. "When I saw a pamphlet that they were hiring, I applied right away.
What I like about the job is it's great to see kids having such a good time, to
see that they liked LEGOs as much as I did when I was a kid."

Re: Legoträff i höst (2008)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.se
Date:
Sat, 2 Aug 2008 16:16:03 GMT

In lugnet.loc.se, Anders Isaksson wrote:
Mikael Sjöstedt wrote:

* Jag skulle vilja spendera en timme eller så med att vi snackar om
SweLug och vad vi kan göra i Sverige för att öka intresset för LEGO
och hur vi kn hjälpa varandra.

Jag visste väl att det var något jag hade glömt :-)

Vi borde nog formalisera SweLug så pass att organisationen åtminstone
existerar - just nu är det väl så att skriver man här på loc.se så är man
med i SweLug :-)

Se bara till att föra protokoll eller liknande. För vi(jag!?) som inte kan vara
där kommer kräva en redogörelse efteråt. ;)

En fördel med att vara en faktiskt förening är att det förmodligen finns pengar
att ansöka om som kan användas till att sprida LEGOismens trosbekännelse i
sverige. Eller bara sponsra tävlingar eller träffar som är mer publika som de
ute i Europa och USA m.m. och inte bara en "nördträff". Fast å andra sidan har
jag väldigt dålig koll på hur mycket MOCbyggande som pågår ute i stugorna.

Själv har jag för tillfället NADA att visa upp och kommer nog inte ha något det
närmaste ett/två åren.

Re: un Brick Blu
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.it
Date:
Sat, 2 Aug 2008 13:58:09 GMT

Benvenutooooooooo..

Ciao
Fabione

"samurai74" <baldi_nospam_@venus.it> ha scritto nel messaggio
Ciao a tutti,
alle 4:05 è arrivato Matteo :-)

...Preferiamo il brick blu, invece che azzurro, perchè è un colore più
classico.

Luca, Laura e Dino Baldi

Re: Legotrff i hst (2008)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.se
Date:
Sat, 2 Aug 2008 11:59:32 GMT

In lugnet.loc.se, Anders Isaksson wrote:

Jag har inte Lego som räcker för en träff, Olof skrev i den andra tråden
att
han kanske hade det...

Utmärkt ursäkt till frugan för att börja shoppa då!  :-)

Förläggning

Kan jag ordna här hemma för i alla fall 6-7 personer (beror på hur tätt
man
vill ligga),

Den senaste veckan har jag sovit i ett 3 kvadratmeters tält, så jag har inte
så höga krav.

Aktiviteter (Fyll på med egna förslag, kritisera det jag föreslår!)

- För den senare kvällsunderhållningen kan man ju ägna sig åt tärningslego
el. dyl.

Härom veckan råkade jag hitta orginalreglerna till tärningslego från den
första
träffen. Kan ju ta med dem. :)

/Tommy

Re: un Brick Blu
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.it
Date:
Sat, 2 Aug 2008 09:50:42 GMT

samurai74 ha scritto:
Ciao a tutti,
alle 4:05 è arrivato Matteo :-)

...Preferiamo il brick blu, invece che azzurro, perchè è un colore più classico.

Luca, Laura e Dino Baldi

Evviva! Congratulazioni felicissime, soprattutto a Dino che in questo
modo riuscirà ad allargare ulteriormente la collezione di Duplo... :)

Alex

Subject:
MOCshow - participate and win
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Sat, 2 Aug 2008 08:12:43 GMT

MOCshow ( http://mocshow.com ) is a free gallery for LEGO related images.
Paid memberships are available and gives you more space. Lot of features,
like comments, keywords, rating, multiple galleries and more...

You can win a Gold Membership (value of $50) by uploading images to the
site until August 31st. Gold Membership gives you a lot more space for your
galleries.

We draw up to 10 winners.

See the details here: http://mocshow.com/index.php?file=minicms/cms&id=2

--
Leg Godt!
Carsten Straaberg

Subject:
GPLR Display at Fun In The Park Event (FUTs)...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 2 Aug 2008 07:24:46 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Jeremy Rear wrote:
   Hi All-

Later today, Saturday August 2, 2008, GPLR will be featuring a small but well detailed display at the 8th annual Fun In The Park community festival in Wilsonville, Oregon.

This is GPLR’s 3rd year displaying here and we always look forward to this event! It will be an all-day venue, and feature many fun-spirited activities for kids and adults alike!

Stop by and check out our display if you’re in the area...We are booth 105, and on the south end of the event area, adjacent to the parking lot...Here’s A Map.

If you can’t make it, but would like to see what we’re up to, we will be posting photos of the display, and event during the day wirelessly, on jeremy’s WebGallery: GPLR @ FITP.

-jeremy

proud gplr member since 1998

visit: gplr

I forgot to FUT...

-jeremy

proud gplr member since 1998

visit: gplr

Subject:
GPLR Display at Fun In The Park Event...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 2 Aug 2008 07:17:49 GMT
[...]

Subject:
MOCshow Awareness Sale
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.brickshops
Date:
Sat, 2 Aug 2008 06:42:40 GMT

MOCshow is a picture gallery with voting, comments, build in slideshow and
it is free to use! Paid memberships are available.

You can find it here http://mocshow.com

Until August 31st 2008 there is a draw running - total value of $500!
I give away 10 Gold Memberships (with more space). To qualify for the draw,
you have to upload some LEGO related images to MOCshow before August 31st.
Details here: http://mocshow.com/index.php?file=minicms/cms&id=2

You can contact MOCshow on this email address, if you have any problems:
webmaster (at) MOCshow.com

The sale runs from August 2nd until August 31st. Take a look in the store:
http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=cstr

--
Get your LEGO parts from
Straa-Vald Parts
http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=cstr

MOCshow - free picture and files gallery.
http://mocshow.com
Contact: webmaster at MOCshow dot com

Re: Dalylight train, Southern Pacific Coast
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 2 Aug 2008 02:30:39 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Benn Coifman wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Mathew Clayson wrote:
   I had spotted the Daylight while researching long passenger train consists a few years ago, ... And what better “California” (where I live) passenger train after completeing my CZ.

Hey Mat,

You completed the CZ??? Please share photos. I saw the D&RGW Alcos in the background, but no cars.

Yea, I’ve had the CZ for awhile now, And I didn’t think to take pictures at the show. I’ll see about doing so if I can ever get unchained to my desk at work.

So Far I have a baggag car, two dome cars, a diner, a sleeper, a chair car and a dome observation. As well as a WP F3A/F3B/FP7A lashup. And of course the Rio Grand ALCO pair are also accurate for pulling this train.

Now jumping to your reply to Cale...

   I am planning to finish my GS4, but Iââââ‚
šÂÂ
âââ‚
žÂ¢m tempted to build a E7 pair as well.

At least with my first steam engine I found it was nice to have a pair of diesels for shows. The Hiawatha ran great on the flat floor at home, but man it still isn’t too crazy about the wobbly tables at shows.

That’s part of it. The steam engine would be unpowered if I made the wheel spacing proportional to the prototype. I’d then use a pair of motor in the tender. That with the motor as the shared truck on the twin chair car. should be eneough to pull the train, but pushing a large engine tends to make is picky regarding track.

But mostly I just haven’t gotten around to building my own E7 yet, and this is a good excuse. Although it should be paired with a ALCO PB unit!

Mat

Re: Legoträff i höst (2008)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.se
Date:
Wed, 30 Jul 2008 17:21:06 GMT

Den allra första träffen har bytt URL:
http://web.telia.com/~u16122508/gettogether/

--
Anders Isaksson, Sweden
BlockCAD:  http://web.telia.com/~u16122508/proglego.htm

Re: Legoträff i höst (2008)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.se
Date:
Wed, 30 Jul 2008 17:16:23 GMT

Mikael Sjöstedt wrote:

Dina förslag låter kul, jag gissar att ni kört rätt mycket av detta
förut.

Om du inte redan har gjort det, så kolla in här:
http://news.lugnet.com/loc/se/traffar

* En speedbuild av ett stort set, ev kan jag fixa fram en 10188 Death
Star.

Kan fungera, beror kanske på vilka åldrar vi har närvarande. Det vara svårt
att genomföra en sån aktivitet om man samtidigt skall hålla reda på barnen.
Nu är ju inte mina så små längre, 21, 18 och 9, så de kan jag väl hålla på
avstånd...

* Diverse små tävlingar, jag fixar ihop några, så hemliga än så länge!
* Jag kan nog fixa fram lite priser & freebies, jag ska jobba på det.

Kul! Bra!

--
Anders Isaksson, Sweden
BlockCAD:  http://web.telia.com/~u16122508/proglego.htm
Gallery:   http://web.telia.com/~u16122508/gallery/index.htm

Re: Legoträff i höst (2008)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.se
Date:
Thu, 31 Jul 2008 15:01:37 GMT

In lugnet.loc.se, Andréas Rootzén wrote:
Önskar lite senare än sept- okt...okt eller senare om det är möjligt men
inte i
dec för där brukar det vara fullt iaf.

Det är givetvis inga problem att lägga det hela lite senare, men inte gärna
längre bort än v:a 45 (min åsikt).

Skall jag lägga upp en Google Calender för SWELug, så får vi fylla i vilka
helger som passar, och så tar vi den där flest kan komma?

Jag behöver era epost-adresser i så fall, eftersom jag inte tror det är så
lämpligt med en helt publik kalender (än?).

Hade varit kul att ha något sorts utmaning eller något tema att bygga på
och ta
med och se andras lösningar på samma grej i Lego.

Jag föreslog ju GBC (Great Ball Contraption) -
http://www.teamhassenplug.org/GBC/ , det är modulariserat och kan vara
ganska roligt att titta på även om man inte har byggt något själv -
förutsätter förstås att man har minst ett tiotal moduler att länka ihop.

--
Anders Isaksson, Sweden
BlockCAD:  http://web.telia.com/~u16122508/proglego.htm
Gallery:   http://web.telia.com/~u16122508/gallery/index.htm

Re: Legoträff i höst (2008)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.se
Date:
Wed, 30 Jul 2008 17:10:13 GMT

Mikael Sjöstedt wrote:

* Jag skulle vilja spendera en timme eller så med att vi snackar om
SweLug och vad vi kan göra i Sverige för att öka intresset för LEGO
och hur vi kn hjälpa varandra.

Jag visste väl att det var något jag hade glömt :-)

Vi borde nog formalisera SweLug så pass att organisationen åtminstone
existerar - just nu är det väl så att skriver man här på loc.se så är man
med i SweLug :-)

--
Anders Isaksson, Sweden
BlockCAD:  http://web.telia.com/~u16122508/proglego.htm
Gallery:   http://web.telia.com/~u16122508/gallery/index.htm

Subject:
StarWars mini sets: cheapest on BL at The Flying Dutchman!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.brickshops
Date:
Fri, 1 Aug 2008 17:48:20 GMT

Hi happy builders and collectors,

I've just cleaned my storeroom and placed a few mini sets in my shop
for the cheapest prices on BL!
Get them while you can: they'll fly away :-)

Daan Bargerbos
(owner of) The Flying Dutchman

Re: Golishar T - armed and dangerous
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build.mecha
Date:
Fri, 1 Aug 2008 12:05:57 GMT

Hi Eric,

you are welcome as always. I’m happy you enjoyed my work.
Hope to see something new from you soon.

Cheers
Marco

Re: Set 4898 Coast Guard Boat finns nu på SF bio
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.se
Date:
Fri, 1 Aug 2008 07:29:31 GMT

In lugnet.loc.se, Mikael Sjöstedt wrote:
Hej alla!

För er som gillar nya Coast Guard serien rekommenderas ett besök på närmaste
SF-bio där den ingår i "Kids meal:et" med läsk & popcorn. Jag är osäker på om
den kommer att släppas i affär.
Här kan ni se en liten review som jag gjort:
http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=19781

MVH Micke

Jag var SF-bigrafen i Skellefteå igår och kassörskan där hade de aldrig hört
talas om detta. Så jag undrar om kampanjen är slut eller om den är begränsad
till bara vissa SF-biografer? Är det någon fler som lyckats lägga vantarna detta
set? Och isåfall var?

Subject:
Video Death Star
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.it.itlug
Date:
Wed, 30 Jul 2008 07:27:16 GMT

Al seguente indirizzo trovate un video del set 10188 Death Star compreso lo
"Speed build" che si è tenuto al recente Brick World (USA):

http://www.youbrick.com/v/Multimedia/chmar/DeathStarspeed/

Marco Chiappa
LEGO Ambassador

Re: Dalylight train, Southern Pacific Coast
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 1 Aug 2008 05:53:26 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Mathew Clayson wrote:
   I had spotted the Daylight while researching long passenger train consists a few years ago, when working on my Caifornia Zephyr train. The DL was beutiful, but seemed impossible to do justice at the time, how would I get all that orange, and the red texured 1x2s. And the that articulation would be impossible n LEGO! Then a few months ago I spotted the photos and consist data I’d saved while rebuilding a computer and sifting though the backups. It had to be done. And what better “California” (where I live) passenger train after completeing my CZ.

Hey Mat,

You completed the CZ??? Please share photos. I saw the D&RGW Alcos in the background, but no cars.

   I’ll be hard pressed to match the work of other builders for the GS-4. Ben Fleske did 4449 Engine 9 years ago, it’s beutiful. And it ran long before he developed his large Steam drivers! http://www.bigbenbricks.com/ben/lego/4449daylight/daylight.htm The orange brick must have cost a fortune back then.

Wow, them were some impressive trains. I like the 2000 era show photos.

Now jumping to your reply to Cale...

   I am planning to finish my GS4, but I’m tempted to build a E7 pair as well.

At least with my first steam engine I found it was nice to have a pair of diesels for shows. The Hiawatha ran great on the flat floor at home, but man it still isn’t too crazy about the wobbly tables at shows.

Benn

Subject:
Votazione concorso "LDraw.org Model of the Month" aperto
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.it.itlug
Date:
Fri, 1 Aug 2008 05:39:44 GMT

Cari fratelli in abiesse,

sono aperte le votazioni per il concorso LDraw.org Model of the Month. Date un
occhiata a:

http://www.ldraw.org/index.php?module=LdrawMOTM&func=ballotindex

e votate!

Willy Tschager
LDraw Administration Team

Subject:
Voting for "Model Of The Month" is now open
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.announce
Date:
Fri, 1 Aug 2008 05:32:16 GMT

Hi folks,

we've a new round of models and parts in our MOTM contest. Have a look at:

http://www.ldraw.org/index.php?module=LdrawMOTM&func=ballotindex

and cast your vote!

Willy Tschager
LDraw Administration Team

RE: Newest Buildings
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 1 Aug 2008 04:28:33 GMT

Thanks for posting pics of these.  I was lucky as I saw many of them at the
recent NMRA show...my favorite, the Del Monte Packing Building...you
captured the building from that era spot on!

Great job.

Ray

Ray Silva
socalray@cox.net

Here is my latest round of buildings. Some of them were built specifically
for
the NMRA 2008 show.

7-Eleven (no interior yet)

Nimbus Books

Drew's Boutique

Citrus Packing House

Firehouse 1

Starbucks (no interior yet)

RenFaire Stuff: bread & cheese vendor, turkey legs & ale vendor, first aid
station, statue, and fortune teller & belly dancers

Russell Clark
President/Co-Founder, BayLUG/BayLTC
http://www.baylug.org/russellc/
Fire Chief, PCFD
There is a very fine line between
"hobby" and "mental illness".

RE: California LEGO Convention?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Fri, 1 Aug 2008 04:21:29 GMT

Hey Russell, I'd be interested in making the trip!

Ray Silva
socalray@cox.net

Hello all. I have been challenged to organize a LEGO convention in Northern
California. I wanted to send a post to gain some feedback on the idea.

Is it a good one?

Would you attend? Non-Californians?

Any thoughts?

The proposed date is sometime in 2010.

I look forward to hearing your comments.

--
Russell Clark
President/Co-Founder, BayLUG/BayLTC
http://www.baylug.org/russellc/
Fire Chief, PCFD
There is a very fine line between
"hobby" and "mental illness".

Re: California LEGO Convention?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Fri, 1 Aug 2008 03:53:08 GMT

I think a Northern California LEGO fest would be fantastic.  Provided that the
event organizers seek out feedback on what has worked and not-worked at previous
conventions, this could be great.  I have found that first-time conventions tend
to attract many new fans, attendees and new perspectives.

Ashley

Subject:
un Brick Blu
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.it
Date:
Fri, 1 Aug 2008 03:37:47 GMT

Ciao a tutti,
alle 4:05 è arrivato Matteo :-)

...Preferiamo il brick blu, invece che azzurro, perchè è un colore più classico.

Luca, Laura e Dino Baldi

Re: 5866 Piece Helicopter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build.military
Date:
Fri, 1 Aug 2008 03:26:52 GMT

In lugnet.announce.moc, Peter Edwards wrote:
   Lots of pictures are on the Bodville website, click ARH Tiger link in the main menu http://home.netspeed.com.au/mephisto/bodville/bodville.html

WOW that is amazing! Did you buy it through LDD or just use the cad function & piece counting abilities? Great form & colors!

Jeff

Subject:
5866 Piece Helicopter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Wed, 30 Jul 2008 09:09:45 GMT

Lots of pictures are on the Bodville website, click ARH Tiger link in the main menu http://home.netspeed.com.au/mephisto/bodville/bodville.html

Subject:
RACHAL Reminder
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Fri, 1 Aug 2008 02:23:30 GMT

I went to add a reminder to RACHAL in the LDraw Flickr group today and
discovered that the latest one was completely hidden on the site. Sorry about
that, I must never have finished off all the editing on the LDraw site.

Anyway, as a reminder to you all if you like raytracing LEGO you might want to
check it out

http://www.ldraw.org/Article476.html

Cheers,

Tim

Re: NR 28 "Indian Pacific" and a boat
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.town
Date:
Fri, 1 Aug 2008 00:43:19 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Kerry Raymond wrote:
Having spent 3 days on the Indian Pacific last December, I'd probably argue
for the use of dark blue rather than the normal blue and some kind of orange
rather than the yellow, based on my memory and my happy snaps:

http://www.chapelhill.homeip.net/Photos/2007-11-Perth/2007_12_03/
http://www.chapelhill.homeip.net/Photos/2007-11-Perth/2007_12_03/

but obviously there's an issue of getting all the parts you need in that
colour. I'd be less concerned about swapping the dark red in the bird motif
on the side though.

But overall very well done.

Kerry

Hi Kerry,

Yeah dark blue might be a better choice although my eyes read it as about half
way in between from the photos but I trust your real life memory. It's probably
possible to do in dark blue but I've certainly not got the funds or inclination
to try it. An alternative to yellow seems impossible.

Am I correct in thinking that the passenger rake uses a wide range of 50s era
cars? I seem to have found various pictures of quite different cars and I know
The Ghan does this.

Thanks for your comments,

Tim

Re: California LEGO Convention?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Thu, 31 Jul 2008 22:25:48 GMT

In lugnet.events, Russell Clark wrote:
Hello all. I have been challenged to organize a LEGO convention in Northern
California. I wanted to send a post to gain some feedback on the idea.

Is it a good one?

Would you attend? Non-Californians?

Any thoughts?

The proposed date is sometime in 2010.

I look forward to hearing your comments.

--
Russell Clark
President/Co-Founder, BayLUG/BayLTC
http://www.baylug.org/russellc/
Fire Chief, PCFD
There is a very fine line between
"hobby" and "mental illness".

Am out of state, but used to live in Nor Cal and So Cal. Mid Jan in 2010 works
for me. ALways nice to get away from the cold in January. Cheers.

Re: HALE (High Altitude LEGO Extravaganza)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 31 Jul 2008 20:33:11 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, David Laswell wrote:
In lugnet.robotics, Claude Baumann wrote:
* Jurgen Leitner and David Leal Martinez' REEL-E : this is real research !
But please explain the name.

Surely you've heard of WALL-E by now...

Not necessarily. WALL-E has not been released entirely worldwide. Much of Europe
is still waiting for its release.

Joe

Re: California LEGO Convention?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Thu, 31 Jul 2008 20:24:52 GMT

Hey Russell,

I might come from Hawaii, tho for long-distance travelers I can see having it
closer to LLCA would be a big draw. Having live in both the LA and Bay areas, I
could see the benefits of having up north!

Roy

Re: HALE (High Altitude LEGO Extravaganza)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 30 Jul 2008 17:08:14 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Claude Baumann wrote:
* Jurgen Leitner and David Leal Martinez' REEL-E : this is real research !
But please explain the name.

Surely you've heard of WALL-E by now...

Re: The LEGO Didn't Break (or the HALE Mission - LEGO where it was never intended to go)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 31 Jul 2008 19:48:29 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Brian Davis wrote:
(evidently driving around like a fool holding the payload outside my
car window at 35 mph isn't the same thing)

Brian do you have one of these near you?

http://www.airkix.com/pix_flix/flix_advert1.asp

This just happens to be over the road from my local LEGO shop. (local being 85
Miles, needless to say I dont go there that often!)

Mike.

Re: California LEGO Convention?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Thu, 31 Jul 2008 19:37:23 GMT

The idea of a California LEGO convention was discussed (some of my thoughts) a couple of years ago. I still think a convention near Legoland and including excursions to the park would make my answer a definite YES.

Being that I did attend the Brickswest a few years ago that was connected with LEGOLAND California I would whole heartedly endorse a LEGO Convention in California. I’m in Southern California (near LEGOLAND actually), but as I am already making the trip up to Brickcon in Seattle, a trip up to the San Francisco wouldn’t be that far for me.

Mariann Asanuma

Re: California LEGO Convention?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Thu, 31 Jul 2008 19:29:46 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.events, Adrian Egli wrote:
My question right now is where would you hold this?  Convention center?  Hotel
w/ convention facilities?

Right now both venues we like are hotels in Santa Clara and Foster City.

Last thought- Think Google could sponsor this???

I know they like LEGO...

Russell

Re: NR 28 "Indian Pacific" and a boat
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.town
Date:
Thu, 31 Jul 2008 08:43:21 GMT

Having spent 3 days on the Indian Pacific last December, I'd probably argue
for the use of dark blue rather than the normal blue and some kind of orange
rather than the yellow, based on my memory and my happy snaps:

http://www.chapelhill.homeip.net/Photos/2007-11-Perth/2007_12_03/
http://www.chapelhill.homeip.net/Photos/2007-11-Perth/2007_12_03/

but obviously there's an issue of getting all the parts you need in that
colour. I'd be less concerned about swapping the dark red in the bird motif
on the side though.

But overall very well done.

Kerry

Re: The LEGO Didn't Break (or the HALE Mission - LEGO where it was never intended to go)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 30 Jul 2008 18:04:43 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Thomas Atkinson wrote:

I hope ALL your data will be published.

A couple of folks have asked me about that. Trust me, anything I can will be
free for anybody who wants it, but I'll have to figure out a way to put it up.
Brickshelf is really for pictures, and I push it by posting images of data
graphs... but here, I think some folks want the actual program and actual data.

The nerd in me really wants to know what the terminal
velocity of a box of Styrofoam filled with Lego is...

The nerd in you is not, at all, alone :).

I know it was dropped from roughly 80,000', and made the trip to the ground in
under 23 minutes (perhaps as fast as 13 minutes). That's an average speed of
between 40 and 70 mph, but that's average - it should have been much higher in
the high, thin atmosphere, before parachute deployment. Lil' Joe was programmed
to take care of its own 'chute deployment: it timed how long it was going up,
assumed an ascent speed of at least 14' per second (data already recovered shows
it was closer to 20 ft/sec), and uses that to calculate an assumed altitude. It
then assumes a "hard deck" at 15,000', calculates a maximum drop distance, and
bases it's "free-fall" time on an average descent rate of 900 ft/sec (613 mph, a
very safe overestimate). Based on knowing all that, the free-fall time should
have been somewhere between about 40 to 70 seconds (depending on when it "turned
on"), leading to pulling 'chute at an elevation between 54,500' (likely) or as
low as 8,200' (ulp! But a drastic overestimate). during a true free-fall of 40
seconds, Lil' Joe would reach close to 870 mph, again almost certainly an
overestimate, so treat that as an upper limit.

For comparison, the main payload (coming down under a large parachute) seems to
have hit descent speeds of about 160 mph shortly after the balloon popped,
decreasing smoothly to a ground impact velocity that looks to have been around
14 mph if not less.

Where this gets interesting is in figuring out what Lil' Joe's potential impact
velocity was. The entire trip down took no more than 13 to 23 minutes, but
without any parachute the first 30,000' or more whips by in a few minutes at
*best*, even with air friction. That means the bulk of that time was spend
descending from below 54,000'. A little more math implies a ground impact
somewhere in the range of 30 to 50 mph.

Think of driving your car at slightly below highway speeds into a concrete
bridge abutment, with about an inch of stiff Styrofoam and a little bit of soft
foam as your safety system. Ouch.

And yeah, I figured all this out before the ground team had found the final
payload. This sort of thing really matters to me if I can predict things *in
advance*, rather than just casual observation after the fact. A product of my
education (physicist).

And pictures, I'm assuming the ground recovery crew went crazy
with pictures of the cras.. ummm landing sights.

See for yourself. I'll grab some of these for Brickshelf later on, but Eric has
started a gallery:

http://gallery.me.com/lego.professor#100014

In particular there's a picture of Lil' Joe "in situ", with the bottom blown out
(along with the tether, anchor pad, and black foam insert that should have been
inside the shell), but the NXT & SPOT not visible through the breach. From some
hasty analysis of the pictures, I think Lil' Joe actually *bounced* hard enough
that the payload shell ricocheted up while the internals were still coming down
to do that - its the only explanation I've come up with that seems to explain
the crash/landing site.

Again, congratulations on a successful mission.

Thanks. I can't wait to see what else worked (& what didn't).

--
Brian Davis

Subject:
5481 hat trick
Newsgroups:
lugnet.duplo
Date:
Thu, 31 Jul 2008 17:13:43 GMT

While parting out a 5481, I noticed that the lime green hat on the child fig (BL
calls it a 47205pb002) rotates. Is this typical for a Duplo fig ?

Re: NMRA 2008 report
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 31 Jul 2008 16:11:23 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Scott Lyttle wrote:

   NMRA 2010: Milwaukee WA July 10-18 (NMRA 75th Anniversary)

Scott, I assume you mean Milwaukee WI. I hate to think that people might be going to the wrong state.

Re: California LEGO Convention?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Thu, 31 Jul 2008 15:50:32 GMT

Having just driven through your lovely state for about two weeks I have to say a definite maybe.

   Is it a good one?

Probably

   Would you attend? Non-Californians?

Maybe (From BC, Canada)

   Any thoughts?

The idea of a California LEGO convention was discussed (some of my thoughts) a couple of years ago. I still think a convention near Legoland and including excursions to the park would make my answer a definite YES.

I have attended two BrickCons in Seattle (and already registered for a third) and the last BrickFest(PDX) but those were both within a single days driving of my home (app. 4.5 and 8 hrs travel time respectively). As I said I just drove from your neck of the woods to my home and I think that is not too far which is why I might attend a SF area event. I may not be your target attendee but I hope these thoughts help.

p.s. Having missed the opening of the new Sea Life area at Legoland by a matter of weeks may have something to do with my eagerness to have an excuse to go back to the park. :)

Subject:
BrickFair Rail Racers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Thu, 31 Jul 2008 15:34:59 GMT

Think you have the fastest thing on two rails?

Come put your bricks where your mouth is!

I’m pleased to announce that Rail Racers is coming to BrickFair! That’s right, test your building mettle with a souped up Drag Racing Rail Racer! BrickFair is will be hosting 2 (two) traditional classes of Rail Racers (according to the rules found here - http://www.railracers.com/):

1) Stock Single Engine Division (SSE)

2) Stock Multi Engine Division (SME)

Additionally, I’d like to introduce a new class, the Cave Racer. Essentially, it’s a Cave Racer that you’ve designed, and mounted on a train motor (single motor - the motor would be covered to look like a floor cave rock). Your Cave Racer should be able to sustain rapid acceleration and deceleration. Your “pilot” must stay “on/attached’’ to your Cave Racer and the Racer must start and end with all pieces together, (no parts flying off mid-race).

Considering the amount of new parts that are available, I’m excited to see what the community will come up with. Will we see Speed Racer in his Mach 7 Rail Racer vs. Racer X’s Rail Racer? Steam Punk Racer MOC’s? Exo-Force Keiken vs. Mecha-One? The Sith vs. the Jedi? You decide, and bring them to BrickFair!

Hope to see you there.

Have Fun! C-Ya!

Rich

Subject:
NR 28 "Indian Pacific" and a boat
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.town, lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Thu, 31 Jul 2008 03:21:46 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

NR 28

Hi all,

It’s been a long time since I built anything train related but I was in the mood last night and managed to build this baby. It’s one of the locos of the Indian-Pacific (link) which operates on the East-West trans-continental line in Australia. Since I was building with parts at hand there’s a few things which need changing, the 1x2 plates with vertical bar should be yellow and the side logos should be dark orange (like the front). The wheelset is for display but a standard motor is easily substituted. At present that’s the only picture.

And while I’m dusting off my MOC posting skills I may as well add a little boat used by the Australian Volunteer Coast Guard.

Comments and crits welcome,

Tim

Re: New Rio Grande Grain Hopper & Santa Fe Freight Car MOCs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 31 Jul 2008 03:16:47 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Mark Assi wrote:
   Hello, I just recently completed my new Rio Grande grain hopper and Santa Fe freight car MOCs. The grain hopper was easily my most challenging MOC, but after much head scraping and rebuilding, it finally came out as good as I could have hoped for. Though I prefer Santa Fe, D&RGW was eventually acquired by Santa Fe, so it’s all good. I hope you enjoy the MOCs. Thanks, Mark

The Hopper looks sweet. Lots of great detail. The boxcar looks good too.

Cale

Re: California LEGO Convention?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Thu, 31 Jul 2008 02:33:19 GMT

In lugnet.events, Russell Clark wrote:
Hello all. I have been challenged to organize a LEGO convention in Northern
California. I wanted to send a post to gain some feedback on the idea.

Is it a good one?

Would you attend? Non-Californians?

Any thoughts?

The proposed date is sometime in 2010.

I look forward to hearing your comments.

--
Russell Clark
Well I absolutely would attend if you could negotiate cheap hotel rates at 4
and 5 star hotels like BrickFest, BrickFair, and Brickworld have and have it in
San Francisco. lol

Count me in if I am still alive. The last time I visited San Francisco was when
Haight Ashbury was in full swing and the Grateful Dead was a local group.
Still remember that place. Berkeley was awash with flower children and the first
Whole Earth Catalog was the best seller.

Re: California LEGO Convention?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Thu, 31 Jul 2008 01:08:59 GMT

In lugnet.events, Russell Clark wrote:
Hello all. I have been challenged to organize a LEGO convention in Northern
California. I wanted to send a post to gain some feedback on the idea.

Is it a good one?

Would you attend? Non-Californians?

Any thoughts?

The proposed date is sometime in 2010.

I look forward to hearing your comments.

--
Russell Clark
President/Co-Founder, BayLUG/BayLTC
http://www.baylug.org/russellc/
Fire Chief, PCFD
There is a very fine line between
"hobby" and "mental illness".

I like the idea.  Sure, southern California has LL-CA but it doesn't have that
"in the middle" quality that northern California has.  There are various LUGs &
LTCs in the far south and far north of the western US but northern California
has a midpoint feature about it.  It would mean some travel but not too bad for
those living at the far north/south ends of the west coast.

The fact the bay area has several airports certainly gives those from the east
flying options.

My question right now is where would you hold this?  Convention center?  Hotel
w/ convention facilities?

Adr.

Last thought- Think Google could sponsor this???

Re: Future of BrickFest?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Thu, 31 Jul 2008 00:36:58 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickfest, William R. Ward wrote:
Is BrickFest dead or sleeping?  The Web site still thinks it's 2007, and there's
been naught on this newsgroup in months.  Will there be another BrickFest ever
again?  If so, when?  Will it be in Portland, DC, or somewhere else?

BrickFest is not dead nor sleeping.  Just on a very long vacation.  That's how I
see it.  I can't speak for the people who handle the website or run BrickFest.
I believe it was mention on LUGNET last year,there will be no BrickFest in 2008.
That's why there is BrickFair 2008 in DC, this year run by both old and new
people.

Subject:
Future of BrickFest?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Wed, 30 Jul 2008 23:33:47 GMT

Is BrickFest dead or sleeping?  The Web site still thinks it's 2007, and there's
been naught on this newsgroup in months.  Will there be another BrickFest ever
again?  If so, when?  Will it be in Portland, DC, or somewhere else?

Re: Golishar T - armed and dangerous
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build.mecha
Date:
Wed, 30 Jul 2008 22:53:07 GMT

Thank you thank you thank you!

Subject:
California LEGO Convention?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Wed, 30 Jul 2008 22:04:45 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Hello all. I have been challenged to organize a LEGO convention in Northern
California. I wanted to send a post to gain some feedback on the idea.

Is it a good one?

Would you attend? Non-Californians?

Any thoughts?

The proposed date is sometime in 2010.

I look forward to hearing your comments.

--
Russell Clark
President/Co-Founder, BayLUG/BayLTC
http://www.baylug.org/russellc/
Fire Chief, PCFD
There is a very fine line between
"hobby" and "mental illness".

Re: Legoträff i höst (2008)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.se
Date:
Wed, 30 Jul 2008 20:21:57 GMT

Jag och äldste sonen kommer såvida det inte blir helgen v39 för det är nog det
enda som jag inte kan flytta typ.

Önskar lite senare än sept- okt...okt eller senare om det är möjligt men inte i
dec för där brukar det vara fullt iaf.

Föreslår helg v 41, 43, 44, 46, 47,
(37, 38, 40 funkar i nödfall och övriga utom då v39 bör gå att flytta, jobbar
var tredje helg men de brukar kunna bytas)

Tycker definitivt att vi kan behöva diskutera våra lilla LUG...
Administrator här och hur vi vill ha träffarna bland annat.

Vad gäller aktiviteter så kan jag ta med två st http://guide.lugnet.com/set/9797
om intresse finns.

Robotwars var väldigt kul även om det tar lite tid att få ihop en men kul även
om jag fetförlorade.

Blindbygge på tid med en enkel men hemlig modell skulle jag gärna ha på
programmet.

Hade varit kul att ha något sorts utmaning eller något tema att bygga på och ta
med och se andras lösningar på samma grej i Lego.

Har lite folk som jag mejlat med när jag sålde av Jonheimers Lego och lite andra
kontakter som jag kan mejla.

Kul att det är på gång och att det faktiskt postas och läses en hel del på samma
dygn för en gångs skull...jag tror vi är en hel del som läser här lite då och då
även om man kankse inte alltid svarar om det inte är något speciellt.

Leg Godt
Andréas R, Jönköping

Subject:
Newest Buildings
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.trains, lugnet.town, lugnet.castle, lugnet.org.us.baylug
Date:
Wed, 30 Jul 2008 18:27:39 GMT

Here is my latest round of buildings. Some of them were built specifically for
the NMRA 2008 show.

7-Eleven (no interior yet)

Nimbus Books

Drew's Boutique

Citrus Packing House

Firehouse 1

Starbucks (no interior yet)

RenFaire Stuff: bread & cheese vendor, turkey legs & ale vendor, first aid
station, statue, and fortune teller & belly dancers

Russell Clark
President/Co-Founder, BayLUG/BayLTC
http://www.baylug.org/russellc/
Fire Chief, PCFD
There is a very fine line between
"hobby" and "mental illness".

Skipped 26 messages in groups lugnet.admin.statistics, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, lugnet.off-topic.test (Skip-filter settings)

Redisplay Messages:  Brief | Compact