 Trains / 30410
30409  |  30411
Subject:
Allan hoppers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 5 Aug 2008 22:31:08 GMT

It’s been a while since I’ve posted a new MOC here but it’s never too late to pick up an old habit again. In a Dutch railway magazine I saw an ad for MK Modelbouwstudio’s with a picture of two hoppers. They seemed a nice prototype to do a model of so tried their site for more pictures and found these. From their site I also learned that a Dutch heritage railway has two of them. On their site I found a picture of the prototype.

That was enough to get started. In what for me was a record time of one evening I had a set of two. Quite happy with the result. I might change the odd detail before showing them in public but it won’t be anything dramatic.

These hoppers were built in the late 1940’s by Allan, a Dutch factory of rolling stock and furniture. The company folded in 1959. The hoppers were kept in pairs with fixed couplings and no buffers between them. They were in service for nearly 40 years until they were replaced by these in the mid 1980’s. Four sets are still in use today; two are with heritage railways and two are with Amsterdam public transport for tramway maintenance.