 Trains / Train Organizations / WAMALTC / *41 (-20)
Subject:
WAMALUG May Meeting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.wamalug, lugnet.trains.org.wamaltc, lugnet.loc.us.va, lugnet.loc.us.va.arl, lugnet.loc.us.va.ric, lugnet.loc.us.md, lugnet.loc.us.dc
Date:
Tue, 4 May 2004 13:29:51 GMT

Date: Saturday, May 8, 2003 Time: 12:00PM - 5:00PM
Location: GMU Arlington Campus
3401 North Fairfax Drive
Arlington, Virginia 22201
Room: 115

If you're in the area and you have a chance just stop in, join us!

What to expect?
Show and tell of MOCs
Items picked up at the Pick A Brick.
News from the LEGO outlet
Possibly some medieval creations
Mindstorms
Bring stuff to traid and or sell.

The meeting will be in the Arlington Original building
http://coyote.gmu.edu/map/arling.html

Christina Hitchcock
WAMALUG

Re: WamaLTC's new logo
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org.wamaltc
Date:
Sat, 19 Oct 2002 18:15:09 GMT

I have sent you a nice 250x250 GIF and I thank you for the quick action to
update your sites.

Constantine

In lugnet.trains.org.wamaltc, John Neal writes:
In lugnet.trains.org.wamaltc, Constantine Hannaher writes:
Thank you for your interest, John. May I point you to
and
http://www.lugnet.com/~49/LTClinks/
? Ok, so it's not a massive redesign, but the colors are changed and the
Capitol is rendered more realistically.

lol, okay, I think I understand now-- I just didn't consider tweaking an
existing logo as actually new.  But fair enough.

BTW, those sites are *my* sites-- do you want me to change them to reflect your
new color scheme?  If so, send me a nice jpg or gif and I'll make the changes.

Thanks,
John

Re: WamaLTC's new logo
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org.wamaltc
Date:
Wed, 16 Oct 2002 03:20:16 GMT

In lugnet.trains.org.wamaltc, Constantine Hannaher writes:
Thank you for your interest, John. May I point you to
and
http://www.lugnet.com/~49/LTClinks/
? Ok, so it's not a massive redesign, but the colors are changed and the
Capitol is rendered more realistically.

lol, okay, I think I understand now-- I just didn't consider tweaking an
existing logo as actually new.  But fair enough.

BTW, those sites are *my* sites-- do you want me to change them to reflect your
new color scheme?  If so, send me a nice jpg or gif and I'll make the changes.

Thanks,
John

Re: WamaLTC's new logo
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org.wamaltc
Date:
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 18:30:13 GMT

Thank you for your interest, John. May I point you to
and
http://www.lugnet.com/~49/LTClinks/
? Ok, so it's not a massive redesign, but the colors are changed and the
Capitol is rendered more realistically.

Constantine

In lugnet.trains.org.wamaltc, John Neal writes:
In lugnet.trains.org.wamaltc, Constantine Hannaher writes:

I'm hoping that websmasters and others who link to us at
http://www.wamaltc.org/ and display our logo will take the time to update • their
page(s) to reflect our correct name and our new choice of logo.

I'm just a little confused here-- what was the *old* WamaLTC logo like?

-John

Re: WamaLTC's new logo
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org.wamaltc
Date:
Mon, 14 Oct 2002 19:44:51 GMT

In lugnet.trains.org.wamaltc, Constantine Hannaher writes:

I'm hoping that websmasters and others who link to us at
http://www.wamaltc.org/ and display our logo will take the time to update their
page(s) to reflect our correct name and our new choice of logo.

I'm just a little confused here-- what was the *old* WamaLTC logo like?

-John

Subject:
WamaLTC's new logo
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org.wamaltc
Date:
Mon, 14 Oct 2002 16:24:31 GMT

Earlier this year, in time for the layout at the Manassas Railway Festival,
members of the Washington, D.C. Metropolitan Area LEGO® Train Club (WamaLTC),
WAMALUG's SIG for train operations, decided on a new logo. While not copying
any railroad insignia exactly, the new logo does evoke the heritage of the
B&O's blue and gold logo of the Capitol dome. Train clubs have already seen
this new logo on the swap containers, and it was also on the ambassador car
sent to Florida. I'm hoping that websmasters and others who link to us at
http://www.wamaltc.org/ and display our logo will take the time to update their
page(s) to reflect our correct name and our new choice of logo.

Thank you for your attention.

Constantine

Subject:
pictures from WAMALUG's meeting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.trains.org.wamaltc, lugnet.org.us.wamalug, lugnet.loc.us.dc
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2001 01:59:20 GMT

Hey all - Just put up the pictures from WAMALUG's meeting this weekend.
We all had a great time :)

The pictures are up on the temporary home of peeron.com[1]...

  http://www.giccs.georgetown.edu/~dan/docs/pics/Mar0301/

Enjoy!

FUT: lugnet.org.us.wamalug

[1] yes, sadly peeron.com has to find a new home, since I left my old job
    at XIF Communications for pgp.com.  We're hoping to get a static ip at
    home in a few weeks, so we'll be able to host it here.  Both Jenn and I
    apologize for the inconvenience.

--
Dan Boger
dan@peeron.com

Re: New Train Cars and Locos
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org.wamaltc
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 13:37:52 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Thomas Cook writes:
"Tony Kilaras" <kilaras@speedus.com> wrote in message news:G4z8Dt.I17@lugnet.com...
"Tom Cook" <cook_thomas@csi.com> wrote in message
I have made some more additions to www.lgauge.com .  I added:

3) Waffle Side Box Car:
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/cook_thomas/Trains/Waffle/waffle.htm

Does the dorr on this model slide open and closed? If so, how?

nope.  It's fixed.  It is offset by 1/2 a stud.

Ah, my sanity is restored. I couldn't figure out how you could have made a
sliding door. Great models, BTW.

Re: New Train Cars and Locos
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org.wamaltc
Date:
Mon, 4 Dec 2000 18:18:47 GMT

I have made some more additions to www.lgauge.com .  I added:

3) Waffle Side Box Car:
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/cook_thomas/Trains/Waffle/waffle.htm

Does the dorr on this model slide open and closed? If so, how?

nope.  It's fixed.  It is offset by 1/2 a stud.

Re: New Train Cars and Locos
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org.wamaltc
Date:
Sun, 3 Dec 2000 05:25:15 GMT

I have made some more additions to www.lgauge.com .  I added:

3) Waffle Side Box Car:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/cook_thomas/Trains/Waffle/waffle.ht

Does the dorr on this model slide open and closed? If so, how?

Re: New Train Cars and Locos
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org.wamaltc
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 2000 05:42:42 GMT

Doh!!! Your MOCs are great, gives me some inspiration of what I want to
make.

Fred

Re: New Train Cars and Locos
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org.wamaltc
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 2000 05:36:35 GMT

On the idea of losing the buffers... I'm a newbie to the Train comunity
since I just had to get the 4561 on sale for my son for x-mass.
Has anyone considered making a boogie car? One set of trucks w/two piviot
points for two cars. I've seen these IRL on long trains of semi-haulers. Two
trailers on one flatbed suspended on both ends w/a truck shared w/the car in
front/ rear of it.
I'm on a limited budget to start and was considering making the trucks
spread a little farther w/slightly shorter MOC cars.
Any thoughts or ideas welcome.
Fred

Re: New Train Cars and Locos
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org.wamaltc
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 03:13:31 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Neal writes:
I've got a hypothetical:  What if TLC started producing 8 wide trains?  Would
that instantly make it "OK"?

-John

Only if they produced a larger radius curve so that our 8-wide trains didn't
look *completely* whacked...  :-)

JohnG, GMLTC

Re: New Train Cars and Locos
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org.wamaltc
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 02:56:54 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

In lugnet.trains, John Neal writes:

When I see LTD (LEGO Train Dudes) who are doing cool stuff, I try to
bring'em into the 8wide fold:-)

You know, John, fellow GoBber, I love you dearly, but this constant harping
on 8 wide makes you sound like a Jehovah's Witness.

Oh really, how do *they* sound?  ("Hey you, build 8 wide, and don't get any
blood transfusions!")

Especially when you're
harping at people who have already considered it.

:-)

Perhaps if you were to come up with some new reasons for building to that
width beyond those already given?

I've got a hypothetical:  What if TLC started producing 8 wide trains?  Would
that instantly make it "OK"?

-John

++Lar

Re: New Train Cars and Locos
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org.wamaltc
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 02:17:23 GMT

Tom Cook wrote:

I agree the black is hard to photograph :(

With the Waffle side car, I was going for an excess height highcube look
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=507122427 .
It's supposed to be taller tan a regular box car, but did I go too tall?

Oops, my bad. I didn't know that box cars came extra tall.

  I don't think you could make it any shorter and call it a highcube. It looks
like is is 8 bricks and 1 plate tall (counting the 2 plate tall baseplate). A
standard LEGO box car with sliding doors is 7 bricks and 1 plate tall ( counting
the two plate tall baseplate). So, the highcube is only 1 brick higher.
  I think the lengthwise compression that we use on LEGO models makes this one
look strange. No wait, I think I figured out why I think it looks strange. The
length and width are compressed the same. 1 stud is approximately 1.67 ft. That
makes a 24 stud car a 40 ft box car that is 10 ft wide and about (25 plates tall
= 10 studs tall (based on the observation that 5 plates = 2 studs)) 16.7 ft
tall. A standard LEGO box car would then be (22 plates tall = 8.8 studs) 14.7 ft
tall. So, all these measurements seem reasonable. Here is the problem[1], a
wheel with a diameter of 3 studs is 5 ft in diameter. The wheels are too big,
and too close together for this model to look like right.

[1] Maybe I should say "a" problem not "the" problem, because another problem is
that using these numbers a minifig would be 1'8"(50.8 cm) deep , 3'4"(102 cm)
wide, and 9'4"(285 cm) tall. Poor little freaks.

The funny blue may be due to my cheap camera :(

Don't take it out on your camera, take it out on the subject matter, or the
software that is trying to figure out what the colors are supposed to be. It is
kinda like the old black cat on a white background and the meter is looking to
make everything neutral gray. In general your pictures look fine, or at least
they look better than mine. When Jack was born I bought a Sony DCR-TRV520. I a
very happy with the video, but the digital pictures are not great. I knew the
max resolution was 640x480, but I have seen digital point and shoot cameras,
like the Olympus D220/320, do a better job.

I'm hoping to make instructions for the 44 tonner soon, to show the details of the pivoting
wheelsets!

I didn't notice that on my first look.

Well gotta go!
Chris

And yes!!!  Slugs are very odd:
http://southern.railfan.net/images/archive/southern/slugs/slugs.html

"Christopher Masi" <cmasi@cmasi.chem.tulane.edu> wrote in message
Everything looks great. Too bad the black stuff doesn't photograph well. Car by
car opinions

Tom Cook wrote:

I have made some more additions to www.lgauge.com .  I added:

1) Bulkhead Flat Car with 'Lumber Load':
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/cook_thomas/Trains/Bulkhead/bulkhead.htm
The lumber needs some work!  Anyone have any ideas?

I really like this car. In the photos the lumber looks fine, even the empty car
looks great. I do not know why, but I really like this one, even empty. I like
the nubs and bits on the bottom, and I like the way you used the modified 1x1
and 1x2's to add detail and texture. Now I want a bulkhead flat car.

2) Gondola:
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/cook_thomas/Trains/Gondola/gondola.htm

Hmm, the blue and gray color combo looks weird, but I think the weirdness is
from the camera or my monitor. The blue look to bright.

3) Waffle Side Box Car:
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/cook_thomas/Trains/Waffle/waffle.htm

This looks neat, but I think it is a bit to tall.

Also, previously seen at the recent wamaLTC meeting:
4) 44 Tonner (switcher):
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/cook_thomas/Trains/44tonner/44tonner.htm

Cool, but it is difficult to see the details

5) MP15 (multipurpose loco):
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/cook_thomas/Trains/MP15/MP15.htm

Very cool even though it is difficult to see details.

6) SD45 (six axle loco)
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/cook_thomas/Trains/SD45/SD45.htm

See above

7) Slug (traction motors only; no prime mover)
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/cook_thomas/Trains/Slug/Slug.htm

weird

Thanks for sharing,
Chris

Re: New Train Cars and Locos
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org.wamaltc
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 21:45:23 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Neal writes:
Very nice models, Tom.  Since you are obviously a train dude and interested in
the
details of model trains, I would suggest that you try modeling 8 wide.  Not
much
extra work, but the results *look* a lot better proportion wise, if a
prototypical
look is what you're after.  Also, I'd loose the buffers, which aren't proto to
US
stock and locos at all.  I use the 2x3 rounded plate with hole to hold the
magnet:
http://lugnet.com/cad/ldraw/parts/ref/images/3176.gif

When I see LTD (LEGO Train Dudes) who are doing cool stuff, I try to bring'em
into
the 8wide fold:-)

-John

Tom, your new creations are cool.  I like the waffle pattern.

I think I can imagine how the wheels slide on your 44 ton loco.  That's a nice
solution, and I look forward to seeing details of it.

Regarding 8-wide...  noooooooo.  Into the deep you will fall.... ;-) ;-) ;-)
Yes, try it, if you can stand it.  It's LEGO- you can always take an 8-wide
apart and continue with 6-wide.  "I've been hypnotized into 8-wide...." ;-)

later,
James Mathis

Tom Cook wrote:

I have made some more additions to www.lgauge.com .  I added:

1) Bulkhead Flat Car with 'Lumber Load':

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/cook_thomas/Trains/Bulkhead/bulkhead.
h • tm
The lumber needs some work!  Anyone have any ideas?

2) Gondola:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/cook_thomas/Trains/Gondola/gondola.ht

3) Waffle Side Box Car:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/cook_thomas/Trains/Waffle/waffle.htm

Also, previously seen at the recent wamaLTC meeting:
4) 44 Tonner (switcher):

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/cook_thomas/Trains/44tonner/44tonner.
tm

5) MP15 (multipurpose loco):
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/cook_thomas/Trains/MP15/MP15.htm

6) SD45 (six axle loco)
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/cook_thomas/Trains/SD45/SD45.htm

7) Slug (traction motors only; no prime mover)
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/cook_thomas/Trains/Slug/Slug.htm

Re: New Train Cars and Locos
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org.wamaltc
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 21:12:13 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Neal writes:

When I see LTD (LEGO Train Dudes) who are doing cool stuff, I try to
bring'em into the 8wide fold:-)

You know, John, fellow GoBber, I love you dearly, but this constant harping
on 8 wide makes you sound like a Jehovah's Witness. Especially when you're
harping at people who have already considered it.

:-)

Perhaps if you were to come up with some new reasons for building to that
width beyond those already given?

++Lar

Re: New Train Cars and Locos
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org.wamaltc
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 19:19:39 GMT

Tom Cook wrote:

[...]

Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org.wamaltc
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 18:39:46 GMT

Tom Cook wrote:

Thanks John.  and yes, I agree about the buffers.  Unfortunately, I have used up all my Black '2x3
rounded plates with hole' on my diesels!  Do you know of a good source of Black ones?

lol how about LEGO Mosaic?  You get one:-)

Tom
p.s.  I have some issues with 8wide, which I believe have been discussed many times before, so I
haven't repeated them here :)

Actually, and not to debate the point, but I'm curious as to what your issues are-- care to share?
(off-line if you wish).

-John

Re: New Train Cars and Locos
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org.wamaltc
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 18:15:21 GMT

Tom Cook wrote:

[...]

Redisplay Messages:  Brief | Compact