 Trains / 8428
Re: New Train Cars and Locos
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org.wamaltc
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 02:17:23 GMT

Tom Cook wrote:

I agree the black is hard to photograph :(

With the Waffle side car, I was going for an excess height highcube look
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=507122427 .
It's supposed to be taller tan a regular box car, but did I go too tall?

Oops, my bad. I didn't know that box cars came extra tall.

  I don't think you could make it any shorter and call it a highcube. It looks
like is is 8 bricks and 1 plate tall (counting the 2 plate tall baseplate). A
standard LEGO box car with sliding doors is 7 bricks and 1 plate tall ( counting
the two plate tall baseplate). So, the highcube is only 1 brick higher.
  I think the lengthwise compression that we use on LEGO models makes this one
look strange. No wait, I think I figured out why I think it looks strange. The
length and width are compressed the same. 1 stud is approximately 1.67 ft. That
makes a 24 stud car a 40 ft box car that is 10 ft wide and about (25 plates tall
= 10 studs tall (based on the observation that 5 plates = 2 studs)) 16.7 ft
tall. A standard LEGO box car would then be (22 plates tall = 8.8 studs) 14.7 ft
tall. So, all these measurements seem reasonable. Here is the problem[1], a
wheel with a diameter of 3 studs is 5 ft in diameter. The wheels are too big,
and too close together for this model to look like right.

[1] Maybe I should say "a" problem not "the" problem, because another problem is
that using these numbers a minifig would be 1'8"(50.8 cm) deep , 3'4"(102 cm)
wide, and 9'4"(285 cm) tall. Poor little freaks.

The funny blue may be due to my cheap camera :(

Don't take it out on your camera, take it out on the subject matter, or the
software that is trying to figure out what the colors are supposed to be. It is
kinda like the old black cat on a white background and the meter is looking to
make everything neutral gray. In general your pictures look fine, or at least
they look better than mine. When Jack was born I bought a Sony DCR-TRV520. I a
very happy with the video, but the digital pictures are not great. I knew the
max resolution was 640x480, but I have seen digital point and shoot cameras,
like the Olympus D220/320, do a better job.

I'm hoping to make instructions for the 44 tonner soon, to show the details of the pivoting
wheelsets!

I didn't notice that on my first look.

Well gotta go!
Chris