 Trains / Train Organizations / NILTC / * (-5)
Subject:
The Old Dutch Windmill
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.trains.org.niltc, lugnet.town, lugnet.build
Date:
Wed, 25 Apr 2007 05:31:01 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Recently, the Northern Illinois Lego Train Club was given a task. For our first show at the Geneva History Center, each of us created a historic building in the town. For my part, I did a model of the town’s old dutch windmill, known as the Fabyan Windmill.

The full gallery, upon moderation.

I displayed the windmill last weekend in our show at the History Center. NILTC had a record-breaking show - around 2000 people during the two days we were open. There were 300 people in Sunday’s first hour alone! The history center itself had the most traffic in a single day then it ever had before - and it opened about 50 years ago.

Here’s my gallery of the show.

Another gallery, with great comparisons of the historic buildings that the members created.

To see the windmill in action (in the middle of my Star Wars layout, no less), I’ve put a video up on YouTube.

Enjoy!

-Matt

Re: "Some pigs are more equal than other pigs"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org.niltc, lugnet.org.us.clb, lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.admin.terms
Date:
Sat, 22 Jan 2005 02:07:18 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Ken Nagel wrote:

<snip>

"Some pigs are more equal than other pigs" George Orwell-Animal Farm
Ken

Whereas I think I can see both sides of this issue, 1- Larry wasn't posting as
an admon, he was posting as a user of LUGNET, justlike the rest of us, and 2- by
the very fact that he mentioned o.t.fun should have made it obvious that he was
just having fun and wasn't being serious at all in his post.

Now I know from very recent circumstances that people that have past animosity
towards one another, then one of them posts something that, from the outside
looks like it's just fun, can be construed by the other party that it's
malicious, and, if Larry knew about the acrimonious relationship between the two
of you, I'll state that he shold have used better judgement.

THen again, one could say htat Larry was trying to make a light hearted effort
of 'burying the hatchet', again,k had he known about this bad relationship
between the two of you.

As it stands, I won't speak for Larry, but I will point out that taking the
words exactly as they are posted, Larry's post wasn't offensive.  I didn't find
it amusing, much, but I can see where the humour would be.

Dave K
-who just has far too much time on his hands to post to many different threads
here on LUGNET.  Maybe I'll go open a 10152 and start building...

Now *that's* funny!
-trimmed miscellaneous groups 'cause myy post had nothing to do with trains, et
al, but I guess should be left in admin groups...

Subject:
"Some pigs are more equal than other pigs"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org.niltc, lugnet.org.us.clb, lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.admin.terms

Date:
Sat, 22 Jan 2005 01:52:54 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

On Tuesday the 18th I extended a simple invitation for people to Visit NILTC’s
next show:

http://news.lugnet.com/trains/?n=24035

It was responded to by Larry Pieniazek, The curator for lugnet.trains thus:

http://news.lugnet.com/trains/?n=24044

The copy came from the library who is very excited about this show. I would
never be so pompous as to correct them on something so arcane as the plurality
of “Lego” especially since a quick review of Larry’s past posts show he is
woefully under qualified to be correcting anyone’s spelling or grammar.

If that wasn’t bad enough he had to continue with,  “I can't imagine him messing
up this spectactularly.” (his spelling). While Larry Pieniazek decided I was
getting personal in a debate forum he found no problem writing something that is
clearly nothing but a personal attack. It is clear he has an ax to grind with me
but taking it out on NILTC and the library was totally out of line.

Furthermore while my friends and acquaintances know I work at a Lego retail
store. When I post here however I’m on my own. It’s not something I put in my
posts. Taking care of the stock room and sweeping the floor once or twice a week
Doesn’t qualify me as an insider. I find my information the same place most of
you do, through the internet. However since this “administrator” decided to
raise that flag I was fired “for being a member of “that” AFOL web site”.

After this post was posted I emailed Kelly McKiernan and then all the “signers”
of the Lugnet policy update:

http://news.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=12017

Despite their statement that they were not immune to the policy none of them had
the courtesy to respond to the email. They have proven that despite the fact
that they claim their only goal is to make Lugnet “The happiest place on earth”
they really are not interested in that goal.

It is unforgivable that an administrator should take a post designed to benefit
a train club and an organization hopping to put on a public show and turn it
into a personal attack. It is further unforgivable that the rest of the
administrators are not capable of policing their own.

"Some pigs are more equal than other pigs" George Orwell-Animal Farm
Ken

Subject:
NILTC Geneva Public Library Show
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org.niltc, lugnet.org.us.clb
Date:
Mon, 17 Jan 2005 13:21:26 GMT

Geneva Public Library
127 James Street
Geneva, IL 60134-2241

ALL ABOARD FOR LEGOS®
Saturday, February 12  9:00–5:00 p.m.
Sunday, February 13   12:00–4:00 p.m.

The Northern Illinois Lego® Train Club will be bringing huge Lego® train
displays complete with running trains! There will be timed building competitions
each day from 2:00–3:00 p.m. using Legos® the Train Club
will provide. You may register for these contests at the door at 2:00 p.m.
Registration is not needed to view the exhibit.

For more information please visit:   http://www.geneva.lib.il.us

Thank you, Ken

Subject:
Chicago LEGO Builders Meeting in Deerfield - Dec 18th
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.clb, lugnet.loc.us.il, lugnet.trains.org.niltc, lugnet.events
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 2004 20:52:29 GMT

What? It’s just a meeting, an informal gathering of other lego builders/fans/collectors in the Chicago area. People will likely bring creations to share. Past meetings have had lots of lego related conversation, ranging from online buying experiences, to sharing of building techniques, to how to tell your boss that you dig lego bricks. Also one person expressed interest in playing the X-Pod game.

When? The meeting will be on Saturday, December 18th, 2004 from Noon till approx 4 or 5pm.

Where? Beth Weis’ house in Deerfield, IL. Email Tim Courtney or me for the address.

--
Jason Spears
Chicago Lego Builders

Redisplay Messages:  Brief | Compact