 Trains / Train Organizations / 750
Re: Train Purity (was Got NMRA? (was....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Wed, 27 Sep 2000 09:59:23 GMT

I may well be a unique voice within PNLTC but one never knows.....  Actually,
PNLTC is nearly 30 members now and thus many opinions are represented.

We concur on many issues.  Btw, I view it as currently convenient to model 6-
wides (maybe it's the traditional thing).  My end goal is a full-on garden
pike with brick trains on LGB running gear and track -- you've made a foray
here, yes?  Hopefully, I can begin a few protos along with simple lineside
structures next year.  Btw2, I recall seeing a pic of a (14?)-wide caboose you
did that impressed many PNLTCers.

I, too, would probably never lust for greener pastures if TLG "offered it
all". But that's exactly the paradox:  can a company building an open-ended
toy ever hope to offer it all?

dan parker

In lugnet.trains.org, John Neal writes:
<snip>pleased and surprised by your response.  For some reason, I got
the feeling that the PNLTC would be "pure" to the end, no matter what the • outcome
(or perhaps yours is a minority voice?).

I have a feeling that the sentiments of AFOLTs will be mixed-- half • considering
LEGO trains just "toys" and therefore the pursuit of components and • capabilities
beyond the production of TLC unnecessary.  I would feel that way as well, if • we
were talking about, say, Duplo trains.  Now, *that's* a toy in my mind (BTW I
find it ironic that the coolest train hood ever made by TLC came out this • year in
*Duplo*-- 8 wide, too;-)

The other half are probably either AFOLTs who have been involved in some way • in
model railroading, or AFOLTs who have been turned on by the MOCs of these • AFOLTs
over the past few years.  These folks know how cool trains can be and the • joys of
prototype modeling.  These people are attempting to creatively combine 2 • distinct
and separate hobbies, and the results are very pleasing, IMO.

It's too bad in my mind that TLC cannot recognize the potential here, because • all
things being equal, I'd certainly opt to stay "pure" (meaning if TLC produced • the
things we wanted and other companies produced the things we wanted, I'd buy
TLC's).  But I'm afraid this will not be the case (that TLC will produce the
things we want, or even continue producing at all).

-John