 Trains / Train Organizations / 729
Re: New Interurban/Trolley model, perfect for those downtown scenes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 16:30:52 GMT

James Powell wrote:

To your point about the NMRA and AFOL sentiment, I think you may be on to
something. I don't think John Neal was a model railroader, although I could be
wrong. Or Mike Poindexter either, and those are the names that come to mind as
thought leaders in the "we don't need the NMRA" camp.

Hm... wonder if we could get Kevin L to make it a survey topic.

I'm in the "we don't need the NMRA" Camp too.  I'm a member of 2 independent
clubs (The Platelayers, and The Gangers) which are members of BRMNA, but BRMNA
is far looser a group than NMRA.  (as is the UK overgroup, HMRS).  Having been
to enough NMRA sponsored shows, and more than enough commercial/ non NMRA
shows, I prefer the non NMRA shows, because of the lack of competion at them.
My club show (Great British Train Show, held every 2 years in Ontario) has a
award for best of show, but nothing like the judging that goes on at NMRA
events.  To me, the ideal of model railroading is to make something look like
something it is not, rather than to enter into competitions.

I think the competitions at the shows are a separate issue from the
value of the organization itself. The value I see from the NMRA is
exposure to the model railroading hobby as a whole, and the potential
growth of our segment of the hobby, and with that growth, the potential
for serious competition to TLC. I honestly do not believe we will see
but a fraction of the items we desire for more realistic operation from
TLC, and we won't see competition without being a visible enough segment
of the hobby.

Things like GATS get very little coverage in the mainstream model
railroading publications.

Obviously it's pretty unlikely a LEGO model will ever win one of the
model categories at an NMRA show, but that is just a sub-hobby. I
personally would probably never hope to win such an award (because my
interest is in getting something which looks good, but also has
operating potential, so why spend a year working on an award winning
model when I can spend that same year working on a complete layout?).
That doesn't mean that the NMRA show holds nothing for me (or even that
I think the model competitions are a bad thing, in fact, they are a good
thing, anything which raises the bar is good, as the award winners get
better, that will drive the manufacturers of kits and RTR models to
include more detail and accuracy).

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com