 Trains / Train Organizations / 736
Re: Got NMRA? (was Re: New Interurban/Trolley model, perfect for those downtown scenes)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Wed, 27 Sep 2000 00:04:07 GMT

In lugnet.trains.org, John Neal writes:
Hm... wonder if we could get Kevin L to make it a survey topic.

Yeah, that's a great idea-- poll whether or not someone would accept non-LEGO
components designed to be used with LEGO if TLC discontinued the Trains
theme, or would they continue to remain "pure".

No matter what TLC does, if a third party manufacturer stepped in with a
quality product, I would abandon purity in a minute. I don't think I'm the only
one either. I think track, wheels, and couplers are the area most ripe for
non-TLC manufacture.

If I ever get a house, I want to have an outdoor railroad, and I will give
serious consideration to making it capable of running LEGO trains, but I won't
subject my LEGO track to the elements. I will either adapt O-Scale, or handlay
track and switches to the LEGO guage.

And just remember, competition is good for the market.

<pause>  And the real crime here is the TLC could do all of the things we want
*so* easily!  I'm thinking, what if all of the time and energy that was • expended
on ZNAP had been directed into Trains.... {:~^(

I think TLC could only give us a fraction of what we really want, unless they
themselves decide to make a serious effort to enter the model railroading
hobby. The way they sell their product currently, they would have a hard time
making much money off too large a line of additional parts.

Frank