 Trains / 7510
Re: Dirty little secret (was Re: New Interurban/Trolley model, perfect for those downtown scenes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 27 Sep 2000 01:20:56 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Steve Chapple writes:
In lugnet.trains, Christopher Masi writes:
Eric Kingsley wrote:
I personally think 4 stud spacing is closer (by a hair) to the motor
truck spacing (which is somewhere between 3 and 4, for some strange
reason I never did determine.

Well I personally find this spacing quite frustrateing.  So much so
that I use 2 motors on the engines that I have designed so far...

That's certainly the best way to do it, but also the most expensive.

Nah, when you've bought so many dupes of train sets for the other parts, train
motors are a dime a dozen. I have had both of my double trucked engines double
motored from practically the start of my collection (not quite - I bought one
each of 4559 and 4565 and then decided to buy a 2nd copy of each, I've only got
one 4565 engine built, plus a MOC using parts from 2 4559s [I think this is the
first set I ever actually bought two of, though 5542 is the first set I bought
two of at the same time - I bought them at about the same time as the 2nd 4559
when I decided it was time to make a better engine and I knew I needed the 5542
for doors]). Another early double buy was the train light brick service pack,
so that I could light both my engines at both ends.

I have something like 15-20 train motors (and I'm sure this is just a pitiful
fraction of what Larry has). Fortunately, I don't have nearly that many
controllers (I should have 6 controllers [2 4459, 2 4561, 2 4563]),
fortunately 4565 and 3225 don't come with controllers. This actually is a
decent number, 3 for train controlling, and 3 for providing wall warts for my 3
RCXs. Of course I'll end up with more when the opportunity arises to get 4561
cheap (I want at least 2 more 4561).

So yes, I think all the engines I build will be double motored if they are
double trucked. They'll probably even be lighted at both ends (I have like 3
fewer lights than train motors, because I have 3 3225s, but then, I've also got
extra lights from other sources, so, in the end, all of my motive power should
have working lights).

Frank