 Trains / 7507
Re: Dirty little secret (was Re: New Interurban/Trolley model, perfect for those downtown scenes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 27 Sep 2000 01:02:08 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Christopher Masi writes:
Eric Kingsley wrote:
I personally think 4 stud spacing is closer (by a hair) to the motor
truck spacing (which is somewhere between 3 and 4, for some strange
reason I never did determine.

Well I personally find this spacing quite frustrateing.  So much so
that I use 2 motors on the engines that I have designed so far...

That's certainly the best way to do it, but also the most expensive.

possibly they found this spacing best for keeping contact on corners
and points?

I'm fairly sure there is a valid Technic_al reason for the spacing.
I can't check it at the moment, but contact points with points :-)
and especially the cross tracks would be my prime suspect.

I always thought the space between the wheels on a motor was 3 studs.
The problem with a dummy motor is that if the truck has 3 studs between
the wheels then the bogie plate nub is off center.

Harder to do, but the closer together, the less friction in corners.

SRC