 Trains / Train Organizations / 749
Re: Train Purity (was Got NMRA? (was....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Wed, 27 Sep 2000 04:23:28 GMT

In lugnet.trains.org, Larry Pieniazek writes:
2. Coupler box which will fit the closest reasonable Kadee coupler (I wonder • if
Kadee approached TLC with a mockup of the coupler box made from a 2x3 brick • if
they could get TLC to do the tooling and possibly even the brick production?

Maybe... is Kadee that incompetent of a mold maker though? I do know of at
least one example where TLC might have made something for someone else but
that's all I can say about it... if Kadee wanted to, they could make the mold
themselves, the stud isn't covered by patents any more. They cast in delrin,
though, because they want "slippery" plastic, kind of the opposite of what TLC
wants...

Yea, no reason Kadee couldn't do the box themselves. The advantage I was
thinking of them basically doing a joint thing is that it would be more
attractive to purists since it would now basically have TLC's blessing (and
probably say "LEGO" on the studs, perhaps with "Kadee" on the underside or
something, or perhaps on half the studs?). This single part would be a
tremendous improvement of LEGO trains without any other part (though DCC has a
lot going for it also, but Kadee couplers would make switching something which
would be fun, as opposed to right now being a chore).

3. Wheels, and US style truck side frames

Yes yes, I want many new sizes of wheels. Skip the truck frames, though,
that's part of the fun.

I supose if the new wheelsets didn't have as much "detail" on them, it would be
easier to construct truck frames.

Frank