 Trains / 4129
Re: Favorite Lego Train?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2000 19:04:35 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Charles Eric McCarthy writes:
Russell Clark wrote:
I would pay $10-$12 for a good set of instructions.

Me too!  Larry, I don't care if they are printed on
ordinary paper or just electronic copies that I have
to print out myself.  I'd pay $8 for the information
and license to use or $10 if they are printed out on
ordinary paper.

Mulling this over I think 12, domestic first class postage included, printed on
heavier stock paper (not fancy imitation lambskin but not the thin inexpensive
stock I normally print on), if I can print it 2 up (2 pages per sheet of paper
to get the page count down to 10 and thus also reduce the postage) is a price
point I could go for. 13 if it was printed one up to be 19 separate pages, just
to cover the extra paper and postage. Drop me a line if that floats your boat.

Softcopy will not be available. That's just an information control decision,
see below.

Am I right in assuming the license to use includes
performance rights?  Like if a train show charges
people for admission and a licensed copy of your
hopper is on a setup there?  What exactly does
"for your own use" mean?

That is a good question and I want to be fair... I'm not looking for royalties
from using the hopper at shows. When I said "for your own use" I am essentially
trying to control you from making copies to sell off to others. This is like
the old Borland license... treat it like a book, if you sell the book you don't
have it any more... with a bit of loosening in that you can make unlimited
copies of the model for yourself with only one set of instructions.

But if you (the generic "you", not Bendyarm specifically) sold those original
instructions to someone else I would expect you to part out all your hopper
cars and return the parts to your parts bins. Else you've defeated the notion
of not allowing instruction copies to be sold to others, because you still have
all your hoppers but now someone else has the instructions.

That's not enforceable since I haven't filed for a design patent, but it's my
intent and desire, so if you go against it, know that I will think less of you
if I find out... What IS enforceable is that the instructions themselves are
copyrighted, I hold the copyright and I retain distribution and duplication
rights to myself.

So ya, you get performance rights. Again, I don't have a design patent so if I
said you didn't, that's not enforceable.

Hope that helps.

Know also that I am treating this as a learning experience. Without saying too
much more, by the end of 2000 I expect to have at least 5 different sets
available for sale with instructions. Possibly as many as 10-15. So what I
learn here will shape what is done going forward.

++Lar