 Trains / 30994
Re: Pulling power of different train systems
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 27 Nov 2009 17:55:33 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Reinhard “Ben” Beneke wrote:
   Hello after a long time!

I played around somewhat with the different train systems. The result is displayed in this table:

And probably more interesting as a video: Pulling power of different train systems at YouTube

The used test rig looked like this (the kitchen balance could (and was) be reset to zero under any load). The counterweight was filled with coins to adept to the maximum pulling power of each engine:

http://festum.de/1000steine/album/Zugkraft_Test/Zugkraft_Legoloks_skizze1.gif

http://festum.de/1000steine/album/Zugkraft_Test/Zugkraft_Legoloks_skizze2.gif

http://festum.de/1000steine/album/Zugkraft_Test/Zugkraft_Legoloks_skizze3.gif

http://festum.de/1000steine/album/Zugkraft_Test/Zugkraft_Legoloks_skizze4.gif

Only the step 4 is featured in the video.

Hope you enjoy + Leg Godt!

http://festum.de/1000steine/album/S/sign4ben.gif

See more pictures of my models at www.brickshelf.com

Ben, with your rig, how does the 8866 PF Train motor compare with the 10153 motor, for various masses of loco (say no-load, kids’ train load and AFOL train load)?

I’ve tested the Emerald Night carriage with an 8866 motor and found that the gearing was too high to go with a medium motor in the cab (substituted for the usual XL motor in an attempt to get more speed, though it didn’t work).

Then I ran just the carriage with two 8866 motors, including the battery and receiver. On flexi-track, speed settings less than 3 wouldn’t move it, speed 3 was OK and speed more than 3 derailed :-(

Then I compared pairs of 10153 and 8866 motors in a heavier 8x64 carriage, using the PF rechargeable battery and IR receiver to control it. I found that with 10153 motors speed setting 4 was good to go all the way round my looped-eight layout (with 1 in 30 maximum slope, up and down) (meaning that it was good to leave it running at a show so I can talk to the public) but that speed setting 5 was needed to get the 8866 motors up the slope and was too fast for the descent (meaning I couldn’t leave it running at a show).

Pulling another two 8x64 carriages, speed setting 4 was still good for the 10153 motors but with 8866 motors even top speed struggled on the up hill section, cutting out the rechargeable battery 3 times, though it got there eventually. It also caused overspeed on the descent and derailed!

Have you or others found the 8866 motor over-gearing problem?

It’s quite serious if the motor designed for the job is not right. The future of PF trains could be at risk. I would like to recommend a redesign with lower gearing to TLG. The 8866 motor should be made to follow the torque curve of the 10153 9V train motor, so that it is a drop-in replacement.

Mark
Mark J E Bellis 8mm Scale LEGO Trains http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=mbellis