 Trains / 30995
30994  |  30996
Subject:
Non-LEGO train question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 27 Nov 2009 20:45:50 GMT

Recently my father gave me several boxes of O-Gauge track, a transformer, two
powered engines, a dummy engine, and about half a dozen cars of various sorts.
I hadn't seen the whole arrangement in about 20 years, and I'm not sure when he
last had it up and running.  I'd guess at a minimum that the various components
were bought new between 25 and 30 years ago, and I recall that we had it
operational the last time I saw it.

The train cars are all Lionel, as is the transformer, but I'm not sure about the
track.  I also don't have the specific detail handy about the components, though
I can probably provide it if needed.

I tried putting together a basic oval track to see if everything works, and
apparently it doesn't.  So here's my problem:  how do I figure out which part or
parts are bad?

I have a sneaking suspicion that it might be the transformer, in which case I'll
need to put the whole thing in mothballs for a while until I can justify buying
a replacement.

But can any of you trainheads recommend a method by which an amateur like me can
diagnose the problem?

Thanks a bunch for any insights you can offer.

Dave