 Trains / 30990
Re: Pulling power of different train systems
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 25 Nov 2009 22:05:11 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Reinhard “Ben” Beneke wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Ted Andes wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Reinhard “Ben” Beneke wrote:

--snip--

   This is definitely one of the keys to higher pulling power. In real life you have steel vs. steel. So your only chance for higher friction force is higher mass on top. (Or use sand and live with higher wear on rail and wheels).

In Lego you can use higher masses or better “rubber”-rings. Too much of mass will of course reduce the life span of your motor, which is not made for that.

Old trains 4.5V and 12V had ribbed rails for higher friction. That in combination with good rubber and high weight is the reason for their good results.

--snip--

Leg Godt!

Great video, Ben :) I watched it all the way through which is a bit rare for me. An interesting test would be the new motor with the old ridged tracks (since they are compatible). You may get really high traction.

Tim