 Trains / 31003
Re: Pulling power of different train systems
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 30 Nov 2009 04:02:19 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Reinhard “Ben” Beneke wrote:
   8866 is definitely designed for kids and if I remember it right, overspeeding and derailing was number one factor for play fun when I was a kid. So I understand, why LEGO designers did it like this to have an appealing product for kids. Kids usually do not want to have the train running and giving an interview at same time...

   I myself am happy with a stock of some 60+ 10153 motors and over 100 meters of 9V track. After the demise of 9V trains I can not use these to promote 9V products to potential new customers. This is bad luck for the LEGO copmpany - not so much for me. For my hobby I can accept, that I am a fan of a “dead” system. At least the Emerald with XXL motor offers a nice add-on to the existing (but now no longer supported) systems. So I am fine without taking any notice of the 8866 motor, which offers nothing to me....

This is an interesting discussion. Keep in mind that the 9v system was also designed for kids, which is why the motors have so little pulling power.

Like you, I’ve looked at the 8866 and figured it would be of little use to me. But I figured there might be some niche somewhere that it could fill.

I recently saw Ben Fleskes GS4 (aka 4449) powered by three of these (here (scroll down), and here). Which struck me as a good use of the 8866.

One big advantage I see in the battery train is, if my understanding is correct, that it offers three additional channels of train control that do not conflict with the 4 pf channels. And a second advantage is that with the black baseplate in the battery train, you might have a better chance of hiding the battery in a 4 wide (or nearly 4 wide) hood. That said, like you, I’m probably only going to dabble in PF trains with most of my stock remaining 9v.

I’d love some third party to make a good 9v power pickup for PF (though I don’t know if I’d want to spend much over $10 for it).

Benn