 Trains / 30385
Re: Dalylight train, Southern Pacific Coast
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 29 Jul 2008 19:33:34 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Benn Coifman wrote:

Very nice, it is great to see the old consists alive again in Lego and the Daylights were just crying to be done. The lettering looks great and I can’t wait to see how your GS4 turns out.

So how did you manage to get the non-articulated cars so close together around the curves, also using the spring brick?

Benn

Thanks Benn,

I had spotted the Daylight while researching long passenger train consists a few years ago, when working on my Caifornia Zephyr train. The DL was beutiful, but seemed impossible to do justice at the time, how would I get all that orange, and the red texured 1x2s. And the that articulation would be impossible n LEGO! Then a few months ago I spotted the photos and consist data I’d saved while rebuilding a computer and sifting though the backups. It had to be done. And what better “California” (where I live) passenger train after completeing my CZ.

I’ll be hard pressed to match the work of other builders for the GS-4. Ben Fleske did 4449 Engine 9 years ago, it’s beutiful. And it ran long before he developed his large Steam drivers! http://www.bigbenbricks.com/ben/lego/4449daylight/daylight.htm The orange brick must have cost a fortune back then.

The non articulated connecions all use the spring brick I mentioned before. This works well because I don’t have 4 wide vestibules on the ends of the cars. Otherwise they might get hung up, I’m not sure. The other LEGO examples I’ve seen had a single 4 wide on one car, but not the other. The Daylight had full width vestibules, so 6 wide was perfect.

The articulated cars use a rubber band that is hiddin inside the cars, just above the floor boards. You can just see it in the following photo. In the right hand gap, just above the grey plates.

I’m standing on the shoulders of giants. Mat