 Trains / 29274
29273  |  29275
Subject:
PRR T1 #6110
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.cad.ldd
Date:
Sun, 1 Jul 2007 05:57:39 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I have finally completed building the PRR T1 MOC that I planned out in LDD2.
Naturally, I still had to make modifications once finally building in real
life.  Apart from the BBB wheel set and linkages, all of the pieces used are
available from the Lego Factory (see original thread
<http://news.lugnet.com/trains/?n=29097&t=f&v=a>)

Brickshelf pictures once moderated.
<http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/07/T1_color_photo.jpg<http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/0/07/T1_color_photo.jpg/300px-T1_color_photo.jpg>>
<http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=2601184<http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ted972/PRR-Class-T1-6110/thumb/01_prr_t1.jpg_thumb.jpg>>

Link to Brickshelf folder once moderated:
<http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=249902>

Thanks to everyone in the Lugnet.trains community for sharing their train
building expertise in these forums, as it definitely helped in putting together
my first steam engine model.  A couple things that I have also learned that may
help others:

- It seems most people that use a CAD program to model steam engines have
evolved to use LDRAW.  For anyone still using LDD like myself, the round dish
pieces (dia 32; 4x4) are a good approximation for BBB wheels.  _[HOWEVER]_, the
bottom of all other train wheels that you use in LDD should be one flat plate
height above the bottom of the round dishes.  This accounted for the majority of
the modifications that I needed to make when building (Hobby Train set to the
rescue!).

- Using only one flanged wheel set in a flanged/blind drive set is a 'slippery'
prospect.  To control rotation, I had to mod the original design to fix the
small flanged wheels to the drive set on the other side of the blind driver ...
I also 'cheated' a bit and added a set of small, hidden guide wheels that are
inside the piston housing of the second duplex set.

-The 8-wheel set on the coal tender has the 2 middle sets fixed together, and
they are the pivot unit that is attached to the base.  The 2 outer sets are
connected (through the other set using a long flat plate, and 1/2 brick offset)
and slide together to navigate curves.