 Trains / 29273
Re: sub station?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.town
Date:
Sun, 1 Jul 2007 04:26:08 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Ondrew Hartigan wrote:
   Hey all, I’m looking to build an electric substation to put on a new module and I need a little help. Currently my plans are to make it about the size of a 10x10 baseplate but I have no idea where I should start. I kinda realized some of you have all ready built something like this so I was hoping you might be willing to share your photos and ideas. I’ve tried Brickshelf but strangely I couldn’t find a thing.

Anyone willing to help? Ondrew

Substations usually have some transformers of various shapes with lots of cooling fins and insulators... although I haven’t built a whole substation before, I did design a LEGO Factory model of a transformer transporter car, based on a real one I saw. This is just one approach to building a transformer:

This car is also somewhat similar to a model offered by Milton Train Works, but the car design is different - this uses parts in Factory rather than Technic beams.

Anyhow, this shows how a transformer could be done. Make two or three of these, some oil drums, and towers with various wires going between them - plus high fencing to keep everyone out - and you’ve got a pretty decent substation.

Good luck with your project - it sounds very interesting!

-Jordan