 Trains / 28394
Re: TSRR #500 and the Texas State Railroad Project
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 2007 21:01:46 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Neal wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Anthony Sava wrote:

<snip>

   As I said, she’s not finished. I want to swap out the cab roof with curved slopes, and I want to put some train-roof slopes on the front of the boiler to sink those jumper plates. Plus there are a lot of color issues that need to be fixed.

Anyway, if you’ve made it this far, thanks for reading! I hope you like what you see.

Hey, Tony-

This is a smart looking engine. What I like best about it is that you’ve nailed the proportions very well-- this is the most important design consideration when building a prototype IMO. One thing I saw that you might want to consider altering, although to the naked eye it looks perfectly fine: the cabin of the proto isn’t flush with the bottom of the tender as yours is; it sits pronouncedly higher. It might be too involved to rework, but maybe when you are tinkering around with all of Ben’s suggestions, it might be worth a looksee:-)

I look forward to progress pics!

JOHN

Thanks, I’m glad you like it! I did a lot of planning and surfing the web for pictures. This is the most un-photographed locomotives the TSRR has, but I was FINALLY able to get a profile shot of it so I could do some serious layout planning. I took some liberties, I’m afraid, in lengths here or there to make designing and track operation easier.

As for the cab vs tender, if I take Ben’s suggestion of changing the tender’s base color to green, it’ll drop the overall look of it down a plate. The tender is actually one plate lower than the cab, but yeah, it’s not the same as the original. I’m afraid that’s a result of me using LEGO’s train wheels versus BBB’s, LEGO’s wheels have that taller-than-necessary housing. I could also raise the cab’s floor up a plate, but I’m a little concerned about fitting an engineer and fireman in there. I suppose I could always just have the two sitting.

I’ll be sure to post finished pics when I’m finally able to afford to get that far. I’m really looking forward to being able to put on the TSRR logo (I hope they don’t mind) and locomotive numbers. In the meantime, I do have four other locos to consider...

Thanks for the reply!

--Anthony