 Trains / 28388
Re: TSRR #500 and the Texas State Railroad Project
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 2007 16:50:39 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Anthony Sava wrote:

   Of course credit where it’s due: my #500 uses the awesome BBB wheels, as well as a wheel configuration suggested to me by Ben Fleskes himself. Because Pacific types, and any other 4 wheeled pony truck locos, have a hard time negotiating their pony truck around their own pistons, I’ve split the pony truck in half. The rear wheels of the pony truck are fixed to the locomotive, while the front wheels move independantly. Since there is only one pair of flanged drivers, the locomotive rotates using the fixed pony truck wheels. It’s a great design.

   --Anthony

Nice work. Looks like the suggestion worked well. The idea of combining one axle of a leading truck into the same truck with the driving wheels has a lot of potential for creating big steam engines. Of course, it is only possible with blind drivers. The technique gives a lot of flexibilty that simply wouldn’t exist otherwise.

Credit goes to you for putting your model out there for people to critique and comment on, before it is done. But then again, that’s the great thing with LEGO, I find that very few creations are ever done, they just keep getting better and better with each rebuild. That is one of the things that make LEGO railroading so much better then typical ‘Model’ railroading (like HO gage).

Cheers,

Ben Fleskes Big Ben Bricks LLC