 Trains / 28393
Re: TSRR #500 and the Texas State Railroad Project
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 2007 20:49:15 GMT

Hey Ben,

In lugnet.trains, Reinhard “Ben” Beneke wrote:
   Dear Anthony,

I had the chance to follow your building process via e-mail discussions in the background since a while. And I have to say congratulations on the result as now published as a late beta state design!

Thanks! You know, after I posted I realized I had forgotten to thank you for all the advice, so I apologize for that. You really helped me with building 7-wide!

   I have still a few spots found, which may be checked for possible improvements. Other have already solved by yourself.

Well, I guess the best way for me to handle this is by the numbers...

1. Check!

2. Using the 1x3x1 curved slopes is my current plan, it’ll even add a little head-room in the cab.

3. I will look into it. It shouldn’t be too terribly hard to change. My original design for the tender had an extra layer of plates on top to make it a little taller, and I liked the look of it, but it was at risk of causing a performance issue. Changing the base, at least in part, to green would allow for that.

4. It’s an awful small area, but I’ll see what I can’t do.

5. That, or a light grey minifig signal paddle. http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=3900 I think this would be easier to install, though the handle would show a bit.

6. Some parts of the gangway are rather structural, I’m afraid, given the assymetrical nature of the boiler and it being 7-wide. Plus the forward gangway under the boiler’s “nose” is just a 1x6 plate hinge floating in the air. I’d have to either leave it alone, tile it making it 2 plates thick, or redesign the nose entirely.

7. It’d look good from the front, but I think it may take away from the side view of the cab. Perhaps if I mounted it on a half stud offset, and somehow used tiles to cover the one side...

8. Check! I’m no expert, but I’ll take a wild stab and say the rear device is some sort of emergency pressure release and the forward device is the whistle.

9. There is some sort of boiler tube/thing here in the prototype, so I’ll look into it. I may just copy the tube of 2x2 black bricks above it and mount it somehow just above the wheels.

10. Like so many things in this build, there just isn’t alot of things made in green. Many of the parts I need to order only came in 1 or 3 sets, most of them from many years ago. Unfortunately 3x3 radar dishes have never come in green, even with printing.

11. I’ll try it, though I’m not sure if I’ll like it disconnected at the top like that. My original plan was to use a round half-click hinge coming off the boiler, but I decided the click hinge in the boilder itself was going to detract so much from the overall round look of the boiler (since it isn’t round to begin with), so I dropped the idea.

   I wish you all the best, that your own financial bottleneck situation may end soon and without becoming a real crisis for your whole social life.

Good luck to you and the Texas State Railroad!

See more pictures of my models at www.brickshelf.com

Thanks! I pray it’ll all work out for the best.

--Anthony