 Trains / 26832
Re: A Steamer with a Boiler that actually is Round
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 20 Feb 2006 01:36:46 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Martin Nilsson wrote:

A Steamer with a Boiler that actually is Round

Macaroni bricks seem like a good choice for modelling the boiler of a steamer, except that it isn’t obvious how to fasten the domes and stuff that are supposed to be on top of it. The building instructions of the above model show how to accomplish that, in about 3.5 different ways. “.5” in reference to how the whistle thing closest to the cabin is fastened: the tan-colored thing that can be seen is supposed to be a string with a knot on it, sqeezed inbetween the macaroni bricks.

The prototype is the Swedish Littera E. As you can see the E class is a locomotive with a rather basic shape without very much fuss. So it was comparatively easy to do justice to it in Lego. For example I didn’t have to think about how to model cylinders, since the original has its cylinders inside the frames.

Apart from not being able to handle switch points or crossings, this model has the peculiar operational restriction of being a “left curves only” model. (Well, it’s actually supposed to manage straight track too... :)) That means that there are sliding axles, both in the locomotive and in the tender, but the sliding driving axles in the locomotive can only slide in one direction. This is particularly true for the frontmost driving axle, which also has a narrower gauge than the actual Lego gauge. The wheelbase is, by the way, slightly decentered to the right, for obscure constructional reasons.

I haven’t been able to test any of this at all though, as I and my lego collection live separated existences these days.

The model contains a propulsion system: a technic motor with battery box in the tender. All completely untested. It may be that the mechanism, which has a lot of cogwheels, is too heavy for the motor. So an extra normal train motor in the wagons might be needed, if nothing else.

The front of the boiler should probably contain some weights as a counterweight to the motor in the cab.

Overall some things perhaps got needlessly complex, like the SNOT and offsets in the tender, and the half-stud offset of the motor inside the cab. But on the other hand maybe complexity sometimes has a value in itself (?)

Credits: The motorization system is a rip off of Ross Neal’s 0-6-0 steamer. Many details are inspired from Ben Beneke’s BR23. Samarth Moray’s open wagon showed how to fasten a window pane used as a ladder.

Comments and questions appreciated.

This is a very nice effort, Martin! I would love to see it in real life! The macaroni boiler looks fantastic; Ross actually built one with macaronis as well and it turned out looking nice:

Although I believe his was only macaronis on top. I remember black being particularily hard to come by at that time (built 4 years ago IIRC)

AND, yours is 8wide, and nicely “schleimed”:-d Well done!

JOHN