 Trains / 26523
  Re: Still more

(...) Hmm, does this mean the new motor could drive BBB wheels directly? That would be way cool for steam designers. Frank (18 years ago, 12-Jan-06, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.year.2006)

  New Trains and BBB Wheels? (was: Re: Still more)

(...) Good question. I'm eager to order a set and find out how BBB wheels will do with the new battery powered trains. I've tried BBB wheels with the 845 motor: (URL) Which easily accepts a technic axle. With large BBB drivers, at 9V the speed is a (...) (18 years ago, 12-Jan-06, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.year.2006, FTX)

  Re: New Trains and BBB Wheels? (was: Re: Still more)

(...) I wonder if you could use the new IR motor in a steam engine, driving the drivers, and an old 9V motor in the tender. With a wire between the two, you could have a double-powerful steam engine, with powered drivers and standard transformer (...) (18 years ago, 12-Jan-06, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: New Trains and BBB Wheels? (was: Re: Still more)

(...) That would seem to be correct, but you're forgetting that if you put big wheels on the battery motor, and connect it to a 9V motor with its small wheels, they'll try to go at different speeds (assuming, as has been suggested, that the motor (...) (18 years ago, 12-Jan-06, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: New Trains and BBB Wheels? (was: Re: Still more)

(...) Yep, I can only dream that the adjusted the gear ratio in the new motors. The current 9v train motors run way to fast, I'd gladdly trade that for a bit more torque. But even at differnt speeds, the BBB wheels have less traction, allowing them (...) (18 years ago, 13-Jan-06, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: New Trains and BBB Wheels? (was: Re: Still more)

(...) I think the process you're describing is referred to as 'clutching'... ...at straws... ;-) Jason Railton (18 years ago, 18-Jan-06, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: New Trains and BBB Wheels? (was: Re: Still more)

(...) No idea about the torque, but personally I doubt it could have been improoved (would empty the batteries too fast). The speed of the new trains is more or less the same as now: a Metroliner waggon at full speed of the IR train derailed. (...) (18 years ago, 18-Jan-06, to lugnet.trains, FTX)