 Trains / 25325
Re: A french BB 62400
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 3 Jun 2005 20:57:15 GMT

Hello all,

In lugnet.trains, Mathew Clayson wrote:

   the model looks great, I even like the yellow and grey better then the blue one. Those windows kick booty. 6wide is fine by me, saves on brick and it’ll fit on any layout. Although I would concider moving the handrails out a bit, making the engine 7 wide overall.

Again great feedbacks from many persons, thanks to you all. This discussion improves a lot how I can do with buiding MOCs.

John, I surely like to build in 6 wide, I also went to look into 7 wide. But for 8 wide, I have a major problem with the room left for motorization of switchpoints, so I try to avoid for playability reasons mainly. These are just simple reasons related to that never ending discussion about doing modelling with bricks or playing with trains... :) and all the logical combinations you can imagine with these words :) I don’t want to flame on this point at all.

Jeroen, Thanks for your pictures, finally I found one showing the top from the link you provided.

Mathew, going to 7 wide would give a big problem to handle these handrails. The geometrical solution could be to go to 8 or 9 wide, but for reasons explained above, this is a scale I try to avoid. Too complicated for my small brain :) If you have imagined a solution to do so in 7 wide, I’ll be very happy to share it. This point deserves a comment: the real issue to me is how to “dither” a continuous 3D form with limited size bricks? If we increase the size of the final shape, of course the dithering will be smoother. am I right?

Finally, Erik Amzallag, again helped me with the “nose” of the yellow-grey loco. Here is his solution, slightly modified by me just to enhance the mecanical resistance of the build.

This is be compared to the previous version show before. You will notice that the 2x2 grey tiles on sides of the “nose” align much better this way.

The .ldr file to catch the trick is available, http://perso.wanadoo.fr/chezfilou/FichiersTelechargement/avantBB6plus_solide.ldr this also complements the discussion developped with Didier Enjary and Jason Railton. Again thanks to all of you for this interesting buzz :)

Philippe “frogleap” Label, FreeLUG member