 Trains / 19068
Re: New Train Poster: 4-6-4 Steamer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.cad, lugnet.publish
Date:
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 15:18:19 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Mattias Martensson writes:
In lugnet.trains, Shaun Sullivan writes:
Hi Everybody!

Jeroen de Haan has once again worked wonders!  Given only an LDRAW file, he
put together a (if I may be so bold) gorgeous poster of a Hudson 4-6-4 Steam
Engine.  He uploaded three different wallpaper sizes, in addition to the pdf
file and jpeg files.

You can check it out on his website at:
http://www.digitalbricks.nl/

Beautiful Shaun!

It must be said again. Your Hudson is a really great model. This poster must
be printed out as large as possible (on my A4-printer).

It must have been a tremendous job to model it in Ldraw with all the curved
flexible parts. Is there a chance that you will share the dat-file with us?

Thanks Mattias!

The curves and flexible parts were definitely the challenge!  For some of them
(the cowcatcher and some of the side tubes) I simply used the flexible hose
segments in LDRAW to simulate flex-tubing.  For the rest (all of the curved
hosing on the chassis) I used Kevin Clague's LSynth program.

I don't think there will be any problem with posting an LDRAW file.  The one
cocnern is that after using LSynth, the file is a little over 7 MB in size
(prior, it's about 100 KB).  In general, this makes it a little unweidly to
work with ...

In the meantime, I at least uploaded images of all of the different submodels
that went into the engine (including the chassis before and after LSynth).
Check them out (after moderation) at:

Thanks again,
Shaun