 Trains / 17815
Re: new waggons by Huw Millington
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 19:40:09 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Tim David writes:
Huw needs a bigger load to justify the drop center though

Not with our measly loading gauge:

http://www.crowsnest.co.uk/gauge.htm

I think US loading gauge is quite a lot larger than Euro standard as well

Loads and loads bigger. (sorry! ... 'k, no I'm not).

I just had no idea that UK was so much smaller than the rest of Europe!
After all, the UK is the original home of Broad Gauge...

Unfortunately Brunel was a lonely voice of over-engineering - pretty well
the whole of the rest of the country followed Stephenson into 4' 8.5" and
God's Wonderful Railway had no choice but to change.  NR Loading gauge, the
size of Underground tunnels, low power to OHLE, the lack of lift access to
stations... in so many things we get to watch the rest of the world learn
from our mistakes.  Interestingly fairly recent HMRI rules on platform
stepping distances make it near impossible to improve unless someone bites
the bullet and upgrades the entire network.  Ah, well at least we will soon
have CTRL to see what a real modern railway should be.