 Trains / 17797
Re: new waggons by Huw Millington
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 25 Sep 2002 19:45:03 GMT

Reinhard "Ben" Beneke" <r.beneke@tu-bs.de> wrote in message
news:H2zJ1z.Hv7@lugnet.com...
Wow, these models are cool! Huw has created some new waggons.

Thanks Ben, actually some are quite old, but I inadvertently deleted them
from Brickshelf a couple of months ago and couldn't find a backup copy
locally, so I photographed them all again at the weekend.

This one rocks: very clever design for a heavy load flatbed!

This was based on Larry's design, but I wanted to make it completely
studless (apart from the bogies of course). Making a receptor hole for the
bogie pin was the hardest part. Larry has hidden that detail from view on
his model, but you can see my solution quite clearly. UK versions of these
wagons, called flatrols, don't have end railings. Until recently, the only
wagons that did in the UK were those designed for travel to the continent.

This steel transport waggon is my second favorite looks so simple, but
very realistic:

They are designed like that to carry steel sheet that is out of gauge.
Unfortunately the load is not secured on my model so it soon comes flying
off!

And all these open waggons look really cute:

the 4 wheelers are based on these
http://www.brickset.com/wagons/profile.asp?ID=5 and the bogie ones on these
http://www.brickset.com/wagons/profile.asp?ID=10

these pictures are so brilliant: please let me know, what kind of camera • are
you using. Do you have special lightning sets? Anything more than the
cameras flash?

Lighting is certainly the key. I took these in my conservatory on a bright
day, so there was light hitting the subject from all sides. Some also have
fill-in flash from the built-in flash. Despite this, some still came out a
little dark so I simply upped the gamma a bit in Paint Shop Pro, which makes
some of them, like this one,
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=248518 look a little grainy.
It also helps shooting them against a mid-toned background.

They were taken using an Olympus C-2000 2 megapixel camera, using the close
focus setting. The 1600x1200 images were then resized 50%.

Huw