 Technic / 8542
Re: Heeeelp! My lego is cracking (and I'm not joking)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.co, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Fri, 29 Nov 2002 15:24:12 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Manfred Moolhuysen writes:

This is not a new problem. There are several parts that used to crack
relatively easy. Among these are the ones shown on your picture:

Technic Axle Joiner Perpendicular
http://img.lugnet.com/ld/6536.gif

Technic Connector Toggle Joint Toothed
http://img.lugnet.com/ld/4273.gif

Also prone to this problem used to be the following parts:

Technic Axle Pin
http://img.lugnet.com/ld/3749.gif
The lips of the pin give way, so it doesn't hold well inside a technic hole
anymore. Especially with the older type, recognizable by having small
grooves across two of four ribs at the 'axle'-end.

Technic Bush
http://img.lugnet.com/ld/3713.gif
crack in line with the slot

Technic Bush 1/2 Type I
http://img.lugnet.com/ld/4265a.gif
crack in line with one of the four 'arms' of the axlehole

Technic Connector
http://img.lugnet.com/ld/3651.gif
crack in line with the slot (similar to Technic Connector Toggle Joint Toothed)

Brick  1 x  1 with Headlight
http://img.lugnet.com/ld/4070.gif
crack in middle of lip on lower-frontside (especially with yellow ones,
quiously) This doesn't make the headlight bricks unusable, but reduces the
'clinging' power to approximately 66%-50%

In my opinion this is not caused by extreme stress, since I'm realy carefull
with my models. I believe that a long periode of aging is not the reason
also, because I remember that the cracks appeared within 2 years of me
buying the models using such parts and they where kept out of direct sunlight.

I think that these parts where under-dimensioned initially, and I have the
impression that later molds of these parts and later released parts seem to
be a lot more resistant (more material or other plastic recipe) Some parts,
for instance Technic Bush 1/2, even have been redesigned into a realy
different version.

I advise you to collect all your broken parts and phone the consumer service
of The LEGO Company and ask for possible replacements. I've heard that it's
helpfull if you provide the set number and page number in the instuction
booklet, for easy and positive indentification of the part.

With friendly greetings, M. Moolhuysen.

Thanks a lot, M. Moolhuysen

There`s something curious: the cracks that appeared in my Technic Bush #3713
are not in line but perpendicular to the slot. My fear is that all of those
cracked pieces would be unusable (If so, I wouldn't be able to build all the
stuff I want to build)
I will check all my pieces to see if there are more cracked/broken parts...
but there's a little problem:
Does TLG Consumer Service have a phone number or something like that in
Colombia??? (that's why I also posted this message to lugnet.loc.co
(Colombian newsgroup) and lugnet.lego.direct)

Thanks a lot.

Luis Miguel