 Technic / 8541
Re: Heeeelp! My lego is cracking (and I'm not joking)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 29 Nov 2002 14:42:13 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Robert Seifert writes:

Well, I have similar experience, and my opinion is it's because of age.
My oldest parts did the same and I didn't do anything wrong to them (I mean
things like lot of load, stress or anything) All I did was I built a model
and than I left it several years on shelf. I think ABS becomes more crispy
through years as "softener" (or how to call the stuff that makes plastic
elastic) very slowly disappears (I am not a chemist so I don't know if ABS,
but things made from PVC do have this problem). Axle joiners are under
constatnt stress even when put on axles (you can see how they become
slightly deformed when you put them on) so once they just break. But it's
just a hypothese as I didn't made any tests (LEGO bricks are just too
expensive here.. )
Does anybody have different experience? (e.g. 20 years old parts in
excellent condition and so on? )

bye rob

A question for all: Is 5 years too old??? My first lego was bought ending
1997 and I stopped buying in 1999, when no good sets were arriving to
Colombia... and because they are too expensive here too.

I never leave a model more than 2 months "on shelf"... but maybe I don't
dismantle it totally, so there can be an axle joiner that has been on an
axle for months. Is it too much stress using the axle joiners for building a
front suspension system, including the steering?
And yes, the fissures in my axle joiners are not so vissible until they're
put on axles. 3 of my axle joiners (2 of them are on the photo) have a full
fissure... I mean, the fissure goes from one side of the joiner to the
other... or in other words, the axle joiner is broken, but still receives axles.

Thanks a lot.

Luis Miguel