 Star Wars / 17949
Re: Why the Star Wars license isn't always good for builders
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Tue, 9 Sep 2008 07:55:38 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, David Simmons wrote:
   I have bought a total of two Lego sets and resold them for a profit, and in each case it was because the sets were already sought after because they were out of production for more than a decade. The difference is that I didn’t create the rarity by trying to corner the market. With the Star Wars sets, I think that a lot of collectors have selfishly put themselves in the position of demanding a certain price because such large quantities of sets are concentrated in a much smaller group of people than probably any other Lego theme. I feel that manufacturing rarity by monopolizing the product, especially when it comes to Lego bricks, undermines the point of the product, which to build and have fun!

One thing that should be noted here is that any set that is rare enough that people could, in theory, monopolize the available stock, generally tends to be released as a S@H exclusive with a limit of five copies per customer. Even store exclusives are readily available through S@H, so anyone who really wants one should have no problem securing a copy. Blame Star Wars all you want, but keep in mind that the more we buy, they more they make. It’s not the initial collectors who make these parts and minifigs so expensive, but the aftermarket buyers. When so many people want to buy rare minifigs that only came in expensive sets, they are going to skyrocket in price. There’s just not that much demand for the rarest Rock Raiders minifig these days, but even some very common Star Wars minifigs sell for a fair chunk of change because so many people want them, and not enough people are selling them to meet the demand.

The problem is not that too many people are hoarding them to sell. It’s that not enough people are.