 Star Wars / 17945
Re: Why the Star Wars license isn't always good for builders
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Mon, 8 Sep 2008 23:44:57 GMT

Hey John,

I get what you’re saying. Personally, I just don’t see the point in buying a toy that you’re never going to play with. I bought comics solely on spec in the late 80’s for awhile, but I soon felt like I was wasting my money because I wasn’t even reading them. Instead of anticipating a good story with interesting characters, I was thinking about how much it would be worth. Not the most rewarding approach for literature, even comic books.

I have bought a total of two Lego sets and resold them for a profit, and in each case it was because the sets were already sought after because they were out of production for more than a decade. The difference is that I didn’t create the rarity by trying to corner the market. With the Star Wars sets, I think that a lot of collectors have selfishly put themselves in the position of demanding a certain price because such large quantities of sets are concentrated in a much smaller group of people than probably any other Lego theme. I feel that manufacturing rarity by monopolizing the product, especially when it comes to Lego bricks, undermines the point of the product, which to build and have fun!

I just don’t have the collector mindset anymore, and it bothers me to see such a speculative approach applied to something that I feel is supposed to be about creativity, community and enjoyment, not personal profit.

Dave S.