 Star Wars / 17944
Re: Why the Star Wars license isn't always good for builders
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Mon, 8 Sep 2008 20:39:21 GMT

Wow, That’s quite a rant. As a MOC’er, and not a collector, I will say that I agree with you that it is terribly frustrating to find that some pieces are so incredibly expensive or rare, whether due to Star Wars associations or rarity of piece. It really is pretty rediculous.

An example: When I was at Brickworld it seemed crazy to see dealers selling minifigs from current edition sets. I stopped and did some quick figures and found several examples of situations where you could buy the whole set a few miles away at a LEGO store for what these dealers were charging for just the figures from the set!

As for set collectors, maybe those who are “hoarding” sets will make a fortune, maybe not. Obviously those who are selling relatively soon after the sets become unavialable are making a profit, so there is some history to justify this kind of investment.

Regardless, I think the answer to your dillema is to accept that the adult LEGO hobby has become a fairly established, expensive mostly upper-income hobby, and like nearly all such hobbies, it attracts more than it’s share of collectors and dealers.

As an asside, I think Bricklink and Ebay have made acquiring most LEGO parts so easy, that it’s easy to feel a sense of undeserved entitlement that makes folks believe that they should have easy, relatively affordable access to all parts in the LEGO catalog.