 Star Wars / 17943
Re: Why the Star Wars license isn't always good for builders
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Mon, 8 Sep 2008 16:47:09 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, David Simmons wrote:
   Hey Steve,

You are correct in that my main frustration is not knowing at the time that the parts would be useful and then finding out later that they cost far more than what I would deem they’re worth because of something that really has no bearing on my specific desire for them.

I’ve always known that some collectors are crazy, it’s just when the crazy gets in the way of good ideas that I get irked!

Dave S.

It seems like you are irked at others good fortune and smart buying. I mostly disagree with what you have said. Buying Legos and putting them away for the future does not preclude buying stocks and investing in your 401K. It is not an either or proposition like you are trying to make it. I have always bought at least 3 of all the Star Wars sets, sometimes more. One to build, one to keep sealed and one to put into my parts collection. Will I sell them someday - of course and I will make more profit from that than my stocks and 401K unless the bottom falls out of Lego collectors sets. Besides the reason to have these is to build a collection. If there is money to be had, why not? Because these figures and sets increase in value - the more reason to buy them and keep them for the future. How I wished I was a serious Lego collection in the late 60s and early 70s when I was stationed in Germany. What a collection I would have not for very little expense. I wonder if you feel the same about the price of gold, stamps or even comic books. I sold my comic book collection when I was 16 and for $150.00. It was Marvel complete up to that time and a lot of old Superman and Batman. Today that collection is worth over $1,000,000.00. But I was 16. Gold I bought in the way of coins in the 70s and 80s. Worth a lot more now. Is that also bad to save those? I really think that your are being somewhat parochial in your opinion of the prices for Lego Star Wars. The collectors that have these - more power to them. The ones that don’t, too bad - but you can buy them if the price is what you are willing to pay. What you call hording, most of us would call collecting. If the price goes up, great, if not, too bad.

John P