 Star Wars / 17947
Re: Why the Star Wars license isn't always good for builders
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Tue, 9 Sep 2008 23:57:42 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, John Patterson wrote:
   I really do not think that someone can corner the market on any Lego set as they make so many of them.

They can, however, deplete an area, making it difficult for regular customers, especially in rural areas.

It’s incredibly disappointing to find out that a set has been released, then drive two hours to the “local” Toys R Us, only to find that someone has purchased the entire stock. What hurts more is to see the look on a kids face next to you when he sees the empty shelf as well. Then, to see photos of stacks of that same set, packed away in someone’s garage, just creates frustration for me.

Like David, though, I’m more of a builder than a collector, so I don’t fully understand the mindset. I can understand buying two sets, one for building and one for collecting, but warehousing stacks of unopened sets is a bit beyond my understanding. Like you mentioned though, it makes them happy, so I don’t question it much.

As for me driving two hours to find empty shelves? Yeah, I could order from Shop At Home, but where’s the fun in that? :-)

-Elroy (who has specifically collected all of the Batman sets, just to rip them open for the minifigs, who are displayed, unplayed with, on a shelf, so I guess I understand it a little bit)