 Star Wars / 17939

Subject:
Why the Star Wars license isn't always good for builders
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Sun, 7 Sep 2008 22:40:58 GMT

It’s entirely possible that this particular equine corpse has been beaten so many times that you could read newsprint through it, but I have to get this out. If it’s already been discussed ad nauseum, please just move on.

After browsing Bricklink this weekend looking for a few things, I’ve had to continually pick my jaw up off the floor in awestruck horror at the prices that Star Wars Lego sets and mini-figs are commanding. Apparently, my Greedo mini-fig is worth at least thirty dollars! Holy galactic ripoff, Batman! I should seal him in carbonite for another decade and retire in glory!! Or better yet, any Star Wars collectors interested in trading him for a bottle of Buffalo Trace?! This is just ridiculous! One store is asking almost a hundred bucks for this one little chunk of plastic!! I sincerely doubt that this offer will be met, but the fact that this price is even considered viable is absolutely astonishing!

More to the point: a few months ago I’d created a few custom insect-like mini-figs using Geonosian wings. I loved the look and wanted expand the number of mini-figs so that I could create an entire theme. No such luck, as the lowest price on Bricklink (just for the wings alone!!) is twelve dollars, with the highest being forty! JUST FOR THE WINGS?!

Anyways, my issue is this: FAR too many “collectors”, who are probably not even Lego hobbyists, are warehousing multiple copies of Star Wars sets so that a few years from now they’ll be able sell them to some other equally obsessed fan looking to increase their collection. I’ve no doubt that many of them have been smugly congratulating themselves at their foresight. I would pull several muscles in my already atrophied brain trying to come up with a less viable way to make money. Don’t you realize yet that EVERYBODY ELSE IS DOING THE EXACT SAME THING?! The reason that original Star Wars toys are worth so much money is that they were actually taken out of the box and played with, not cached in a closet or hidden in a garage like some depression-era granny stuffing her mattress with dollar bills.

If you want to invest in the future, young padawan, learn to buy stocks on Wall Street. In the meantime, please stop killing the aftermarket in parts that the non-lobster-bib-wearing Lego fan would like to use in their MOC’s.

Here’s my main example; # 10123 Cloud City. I remember it being an exclusive of some kind and not even found on most store shelves. Of course, the Lando ‘fig made it extra hot so it got gobbled up like the first round of crack vials on a street corner. Unfortunately, this is the only set so far where one can find the three-stemmed flower base in brown. What a perfect part for landscaping! Imagine being able to denote areas of a field where the grass is not growing well because the water table is too low (or a cow took a mean whiz!) by having clumps of brown grass mixed in with the green!

However, if you want to do something like this in your next diorama, you better be shagging an oil baron because you’ll be shelling out at least $300 for a complete set. That’s three times the original MSRP (for only three of the parts I’m talking about)! Here’s a quote from an Amazon review that perfectly summarizes the insanity around this license:

“So if you don’t have the funds to get this set, make sure it’s at the top of your Christmas or birthday wish list. Because, really, you shouldn’t live another day as a Star Wars Lego fan without the Cloud City set in your possession. Let the force be with you.”

May the Force lead to you to realize that all this hoarding leads nowhere. It’s a dead end and the Dark Side of collector commerce will seduce you with its empty promises of future financial dominance! Do you really want to start hating your fellow fans because they cannot or will not squeeze out the exorbitant “collector” prices that you’re expecting? Do you really want to turn a hobby that can continually inspire your creativity and your enjoyment of life into a cutthroat business of buy low, sell high?

If you’re only thinking about the money, you’re in the wrong line.

Dave S.

Re: Why the Star Wars license isn't always good for builders